
I tossed the prenatal vitamins in the nearest dumpster and drove home. The next day I called Uncle Hampton IV.
"Princess! How are you?" he said. Princess? How ironic. I was about as far from Princess Grace as humanely possible.
We arranged a visit the following Saturday. I barely made it in their front door before I collapsed, howling. The relief of finally being able to share the pain, guilt, terror, and shame was almost overwhelming.
Aunt Mary folded me into her arms and we went into the library. Uncle Hampton sat down and drew on his pipe, just like on Father Knows Best. I inhaled the pungent aromas of brandy, tobacco, and leather. Mmmm. I felt better already.
"I was at this...spring dance..." I bawled. "My date....well.....he.... TOOK ADVANTAGE of me and I'm....I'm in big trouble. The worst kind of trouble there is." (I thought it best to omit the Purple Passion part of the story).
Their eyes widened with horror.
"Is there any chance of you marrying the boy?" began Aunt Mary. "Who's his fam..." I cut her off. "Aunt Mary," I said as forcefully as I could. "I am not marrying a cad like Jack. I want to have a real wedding to a man who really loves me."
"I understand dear," she said. "Well, I suppose the child will have to be put up for adoption, then."
I didn't even bother to discuss the cherished dream I had. That Uncle Hampton would miraculously whip a five hundred dollar bill from his wallet and suddenly remember that one of the members of their country club performed safe abortions. I knew it was just a fantasy.
Plus, I was naive but I wasn't totally ignorant. I'd heard the whispered stories at school of girls who died going to back alley quacks, or who couldn't ever have kids after a botched operation.
Oh, what a dream it was! If I could only skip away to Puerto Rico or somewhere and return with a healthy tan and not pregnant anymore. Sadly enough, I didn't have access to that kind of money or know how to even begin to do this on my own.
Uncle Hampton seemed lost in a daze. He poured himself a drink and handed one to me and Aunt Mary.
"All right, Princess," he finally said. "Now first of all, I don't want to put you in a home somewhere." I sighed with relief. "This is a terrible shock," he continued, "and requires some thought."
We all went out to dinner. We discussed everything except for the baby. We discussed college, family, world affairs, music, television, radio, the upcoming Presidential race, somebody named Jack (sigh) Kennedy, the redecoration of their dining room, on and on until I thought I'd go crazy (er).
We arrived back at the house and Uncle Hampton picked up the phone. I heard him ask the operator for my Dad's number and almost fainted. He winked and held up a hand motioning for me to be quiet.
"I think our Princess should do a JUNIOR YEAR ABROAD," he said. "She wants to be a concert pianist, right?" I heard my Dad chuckle indulgently. "Probably end up a church organist with a family," I heard him say, and squirmed in my seat.
Uncle Hampton, undaunted, continued on. "I'm going to send our girl to Europe on a cruise! She'll see the great art works of the world, hear the finest musicians....she'll learn more than she would at college, and the college will be there when she returns home."
Oh! Oh! I could hardly think. Uncle Hampton hung up the phone, smiling.
"We'll get you a little apartment in town," he said. "I have a friend at the club who is a lady doctor. He'll find the baby a good set of parents, and maybe...just maybe....if you're a very good girl...you'll really be sailing in March!"
I threw myself on him, bawling even louder. This time, however, they were tears of relief.
Later, at bedtime, Aunt Mary paid me a visit. We clasped hands and she leaned in.
"Don't worry about your wedding night," she whispered. "Huh?" I replied.
"Well, dear, a baby.....changes things....you know," she said, raising her eyebrows. Oh. I guessed she was right.
"Riding accident!" she said. "You'll just tell your husband it was a riding accident!"
Okay.
Next: Exiled!










8 comments:
I followed you over from your comment on Cecily's blog and I'm hooked. What a fascinating journey you are taking. Thank you for sharing this intensely personal story.
I can't wait for what's next.
Thanks for continuing to write this story. I appreciate looking at your mother's experience through your eyes.
That photo of you is cute as a button.
I had a lovely comment all typed out here but screwed it up.
I know this is an exercise for you to heal, share, work through this but as one who appreciates a good turn of a word and a chuckle, I am throughly enjoying this because it reads over the top funny. I'm sorry, I'm evil and horrible but I can't help it.
I think it is because I'm a southerner myself (NC) - raised and now, a sorority girl educated in southern colleges, etc but in my mind, I see this being performed on stage with a campy thing going on.
I know there is a serious element going on to but the packaging is just divine.
What Miss Cellania said-ditto!
I have been wondering if these photos are of you. So cute.
Thank you for taking all yoru readers on this very personal journey with you.
Thank you for dropping by my site and commenting.
I'm so glad you did. I just read your last 3 posts and am keen to read more. What a fascinating story, one that I suspect others can relate to from all those years ago. You tell it in such an interesting way, I feel like I'm a fly on the wall.
Looking forward to reading more of your birthmother's journey :)
simply riveting....It so reminds me of my mother's world. She was born in 1932...went to Radford College, graduated in 1952, got pregnant her senior year....and then had to get married b/c that's what pregnant girls did. But, she never should have married... it was a disaster...I am now forty-something and only in the last few years have I healed from the diastrous messes my mother's decisions (or lack thereof) left in her wake....Thanks for sharing. It is fascinating...
Where is Part 4??? I've been waiting all weekend for part 4. This is good. Really, really good. You are a great writer, and I want to know the rest of the story (even though I know how it ends!).
DonnaT
Post a Comment