Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The One Where I Finally Meet The Grim Reaper


Cassie RIP 1992-2005

I saw death yesterday. For the first time.

Family pets were always taken in by somebody else for their final journey. Our first baby Nikki (German Shepherd/Husky) died while at the vet's office awaiting surgery. Last year I made Roger take my boy poodle Nicky in for his Last Call.

But I could not shirk my duty to Cassie.

Cassie came into my life in 1993. I got a call from my sister telling me that the local Humane Society had just rescued a lot of poodles from an inhumane puppy mill. Would I like one of the poodles? Why yes please, bartender. Hit me up.

I have to look back and laugh at how incredibly naive I was. My new "son", Nicky, was from a breeder--loved, nutured and cherished from the moment he was born. My new "daughter", Cassie, had probably never been handled. She was a year old and had probably already been forced to pump out a litter. Many of her fellow inmates were blind from being inside tiny confined pens inhaling urine/ammonia.

Cassie was jumpy and skittish from the first minute I laid eyes on her. And she never did get over it. She also never did quite get potty training, (as dogs naturally eliminate far away from their living quarters but caged dogs must do so in their living quarters and they are notoriously difficult to retrain), and my floors are the worse for it.

She loved and bonded with us though, and I was fiercely devoted to her. Beautiful, healthy, energetic, and most of all--smart. Not that I'm a judge of animal I.Q., but my son Nicky was definitely a Bubba type--hey, life is good, fetch me a beer, woman. Cassie was bright. She thought about things and reasoned things out.

Yes, I am one of those tiresome people who feel that dogs are just small furry humans. Wanna make something of it?

In something of a cosmic irony, my boy--from a top breeder--was the weakest, sickliest dog you can possibly imagine. My girl--from the worst of the worst backgrounds--was radiantly healthy.

I have not mentioned her on this site because lately I've just been deeply depressed about her health. It's a long and tiresome story, but she's been quite ill for the past year. She had lost much weight and stopped eating. She could barely walk.

I knew that it was time. And I knew that I could not run from this. I was the one person in the world that she loved and trusted without reservation. I had to be with her to the end. I owed her that much.

I took her to the vet yesterday. He's a really good friend. He discussed several alternatives with me that might help her hang on a little longer, but I felt that she was telling me that she was tired of living in pain. I told him to do it.

He attempted to distract me with conversation as the needle went in. She did not fight it. I don't think she was even there--I think her spirit had already started to fly. Down she went. Just immediately.

I began to sob uncontrollably and he left us alone together for as long as I needed.

I called the girls' school and sobbed that I would be a little late in picking them up. I carefully examined her body. So thin, so weak, sunken ribs. I knew that I had done the right thing. Her eyes were dim. She was such a shell of the gorgeous little dog I remembered. I had never touched a dead body before. I did. She was still warm.

Now I wait, and wait, flinging entreaties up to the skies above that one day we will be reunited.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so so sorry for your loss. It's hard isn't it? Even when you know you gave her such a good life and spared her pain and kept her company at the end. It's still so hard. Of course they are furry people--or we're strangely hairless dogs :) Hugs to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

you did exactly the right thing. that's why it is so hard. kris

Miss Cellania said...

I am so sorry. (((Lorrie)))

What a sweet little picture. We love the most the ones who need it the most.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry, but oh you did so right by her. Yours was the last face she saw and your hands were the last to pet her. And the fact that you were there made it easy for her spirit to move on.

Carol Anne said...

Lorrie, I am so sorry. Having recently BTDT, I know how much it hurts when your fur-child has gone.

Sending hugs. You did the right thing.

Old Lady said...

Oh, Lorrie. I am so sorry. God bless you, Roger and the girls.

Of course, they're furry humans! But you did the right thing.

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry and mother is here with me and I just showed her the picture and she wanted me to give her condolences and also wanted me to tell you about rainbow bridge and I will find it and link it for you, she said it was great comfort for her when Chelsea passed away.

So very sorry.

Anonymous said...

http://www.mogdoggy.com/rainbowbridge.html

I hope that link works. It is a poem about a rainbow bridge that mother wanted me to send to you.

Anonymous said...

Lorrie-

Your post made
me cry- it is so hard. I still miss Spot and Ernie the peerless rez dogs who hiked and walked and roamed with me for well over 15 years and I too look forward to the day we are joined again...

Amy

Anita said...

RIP Cassie.

Within the last year I have gone through this twice so I can understand (wish I couldn't).

I had my boys during my darkest days and they made them that little bit brighter.

Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. Putting them down is the very last way we show them we love them. Again, so sorry.

Sparky said...

What a loving tribute to Cassie. She was a beautiful dog and you are an even more beautiful person. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lorrie, what a good mommy you are! That is one of the toughest things compassionate humans can go through. And even when you know to your soul, it is right, it breaks your heart. Many, many hugs to you and your family

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I think my dog is a small furry human as well. Sounds like she had a wonderful life with you.

Marla

Anonymous said...

Lorrie,

I am so sorry. I too have an elderly poodle who had gone downhill this last year. Now blind, deaf and incontinent. He is my best friend and smarter than most people I meet. I am glad you gave her such a wonderful life.

Desiree

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I'm with you all the way on the small furry human thing. My dogs have taught me more about how to love than most people I know.
You did the right thing but it's so hard to do. She was beautiful. Poodles are such great, under-rated dogs. Much under-rated and over-coiffed.

Shannon said...

Oh I'm sooo soo sorry. I can't imagine. I'm all teared up over here just reading your post and trying not to think of myself in that position. You did the right thing though and I'm sure she said a little thank you as she slipped away to heaven.

Anonymous said...

Small Furry Humans. Sweet. Here's hoping that she'll be barking for you in the hereafter, whatever that is. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Lorrie

I've enjoyed your signature line including your poodle-babies on the various lists I read. I'm sorry for your loss. It hurts so much more than you ever think it would.

The picture you posted of her is precious.

Kristina

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs