Tuesday, September 20, 2005

How About Never? Does Never Work For You?


And the beat goes on.

This is one of my favorite New Yorker cartoons of all time.

Being the mother of older children has brought with it many rewards.

One of the best things is that I can now say "No!" without worrying that my child is going to scream so loudly in public that police will be called.

Of course I can't just say "No!" I must make it funny!!

My children are already masters of the eye rolling and back-away- slowly- from- crazy-mom maneuver in public.

Madeleine doesn't give up easily though. Cleverly figuring that reverse psychology will work, she'll hold up her latest junk food crush, batting her eyes winsomely.

"I guess you won't let me have this," she sighs sadly.

"You're an unusually perceptive child!" I reply gaily.

"When can I have Sugar Mix Rice Crunchies Choco-Coco Fruit Snacks?" Meredith will ask.

"How about never? Does never work for you?" I laugh.

An older lady heard me today at Food Lion and smiled. "You go girl!" she said.

Meredith was crushed.

She pulled my head down to her lips to tell me a secret. "I think that lady hates kids," she whispered.

2 comments:

Cricket said...

Hi,
I just got started reading your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine. You, Julianna, and I are from the same neck of the woods - well, same state, anyway.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that's one of my favorite cartoons, too.

I think my baby-daddy is down in your neck of the woods right now. I mean I know where he is and I think it's your neck of the woods. Wish the trip was a couple of months later so we could have brought LSP down with us. Dying to visit there.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs