The doctors ran a zillion tests on her and found several things--a gut infection, a bladder infection, and painful internal hemorrhoids (I had to look that word up). What they didn't find was any serious or fatal diseases, except Alzheimer's, which is enough really, don't you think? Of course being so weak exacerbated the Alzheimer's and she didn't recognize her friend of 30 years, or her doctor of 15 years...
So on Friday, March 28, she was transferred by ambulance to a locked Alzheimer's unit filled with people in advanced stages of the disease. Some of them just walk around all day, some sit in a chair and stare at nothing, but there are a few ladies who dress up for dinner and seem to be able to carry on a conversation. Maybe they'll be future friends. MAYBE.
Mom has no idea that she may be in that unit for the rest of her life. Fortunately the social worker told her that she had to go to the unit for "rehabilitation." She thinks she's coming home any day now. That would require private nurses to the tune of $12,000 a month. Um, not happening.
Mom is crabby and complaining about everything, especially her stomach. She is on strong antibiotics which should cure the stomach pain---I hope, I hope. We will just have to take it one day at a time, like AA.
Ok! Well, that was fun. Now let's talk about the kids and what they've been up to. I'd post a picture of myself but I look like the caption should be Survivor: Bataan Death March. I'm beyond exhausted and extremely emotional. But I am keeping up with my job requirements and the virus that has plagued me since January is GONE. (I hate to write that, I hate to tempt fate!) I'm actually able to wake up and go to work and drive home without sleeping in my office, so that is a good thing. You know, so I can collect a paycheck and all that. And eat, and put gas in the car. Good God, gas is expensive.
First we had Easter, and an ungodly amount of sugar.

Then we had an art show on the deck.
I mean, Picasso couldn't even begin to produce such masterpieces. 
Portrait Of The Artist As A, well, something. Not sure what.

Then we had some special guests. The famous Gwen and her delightful mom Karen and a friend visited. We all had a blast. Karen turned out to be one of those people who you meet and five minutes later you are BFF. Karen's new blog is password protected. Write me if you want me to write Karen and ask for the password. I will forward the emails to Karen.
The lovely Miss Gwen in a contemplative mood.
And then tonight the artistes were honored at a reception at the local library. Madeleine's piece was one of two chosen (out of 120 4th graders) to be displayed. It's the one with the yellow border.
And Meredith's piece was one of three chosen (out of 150 first graders) to be displayed.
Am I proud of them? Nawwwww..........










No comments:
Post a Comment