Saturday, November 27, 2010

When Black Friday Comes....

All those years I sneered at Black Friday.    "There is nothing in this world," I would announce smugly, "that is worth getting up at 3:00 AM and risking my life for."

I'm just a simple housewife now (kind of like Allie's simple dog)  and I guess that I have lost all control over my um, urges.
I was scanning Black Friday ads several weeks ago and saw a washer/dryer combo at Best Buy and suddenly slipped gently into an alternate universe.  

The thought of using the perfectly servicable machines we owned seemed as antiquated as beating clothes on a rock.  Okay, they're old.  And heck!  These things'll probably pay for themselves in energy and laundry detergent in 150 years or so.

We stayed at a condo this summer at the beach that had a set of beautiful spaceship machines.  We spent most of our vacation playing with them, ignoring the gently rolling waves.

They cooked bacon and served breakfast with freshly squeezed orange juice and a tasteful white rose on a tray with matching linen napkins.

I put Roger in the steam cycle for exactly 1 hour and 48 minutes and he looked ten years younger.

The dogs protested loudly at first, but soon grew to enjoy being fitted with tiny scuba masks and dropped in the  soothing water.    Soon they would run to the machines when we would ask "Do you want to go to the amusement park again and ride the Dog Allergen Removal Cycle?

It was a glorious week.  I had to leave.  I  threw my arms around them and had to be bodily dragged off, weeping hysterically.   But I never seriously considered buying them.  

What on earth is happening to me?   My first car cost  $300.00.  It was a beat up old VW (waves cane).  You young whippersnappers just don't know what it was like back in the olden days.   The first car I ever drove to school was a 1956 Chevy that didn't even need a key.   You just turned the ignition switch.

My parents' first house cost $8000.00.

I simply could not help myself.  But Roger needs to have his wrinkles steamed again, and I've noticed a few fleas on the dogs.  

And they will dress up the house.  I'm thinking of putting them in the living room.   Or at least taking off the doors to the laundry room. 

No comments:

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs