Friday, November 19, 2010

50 First Dates

Roger's favorite earrings

Roger never remembers anything...I mean anything...that I tell him.  Carefully chosen stories from my past, proven hits at dinner parties, make him laugh.   Every. Single. Time.  

This is delightful, because it means that I never have to come up with anything new in order to convince him that I am funny.

I've long since come to grips with the irritating thought that perhaps IF HE REALLY CARED he might remember more about my life.  I simply dismiss it as..... a charming quirk.  

The fact that he can describe a football game played five years ago by the University of South Carolina Fighting Gamecocks in excrutiating detail but can never remember the name of my first grade teacher.....for the sake of a happy home life, I simply dismiss it as a...charming quirk. 

In case he ever stops by to read this blog, I'm including a cheat sheet for you, honey!!!   

What was the name of the word that made me lose the Durham Academy First-Fifth Grade Spelling Bee?     

Electrician.

What was the greatest trauma of my elementary school days?

The day that my second grade teacher, Mrs. Woods, yelled "Lorrie, STOP PICKING YOUR NOSE!" in front of the whole class.

What did you think of my last blog post?

It would make William Shakespeare weep with envy.

Charming....quirk.    

I made a bet with him the other week that the University of South Carolina Fighting Gamecock Football Team would lose to the University of Florida Gators.  

It seemed safe enough.  I mean, they've lost the last 13 times.

Winner gets a home cooked meal determined by the loser.  I already had the menu drawn up and posted it on Facebook.

How was I to know that the moon was in the 7th house, and Jupiter FINALLY aligned with Mars?

Florida lost.

I sighed.  "What do you want me to make you, honey?"

"The dish you made me the first time I came over for dinner."

"YOU REMEMBER THIS DISH?"

Not only did he remember it, but he forced me to guess it.  Since I only make two casseroles from scratch, lasagna and this chicken dish I like, I guessed those two.  No. I was stymied.
Finally he had to tell me what it was.  

Spinach Orzo Pie.

It was worth losing the bet just to know that he remembered!!

SPINACH ORZO PIE

2 beaten eggs
1 15 oz jar spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
Small can mushrooms
1 1/2 cups cooked orzo pasta.  (I use whole wheat today).

Cook pasta.  Thaw & drain spinach, squeezing it to get all the water out.  

Mix 2/3 of the spaghetti sauce, eggs, and mozzarella cheese with the pasta.  Line the sides of a deep dish pie pan.

Mix spinach, ricotta cheese & nutmeg.  Place in center of dish.

Top with the last 1/3 of the spaghetti sauce mixed with the mushrooms and parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

No comments:

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs