Monday, March 10, 2008

The Joy of Alzheimer's

I keep waiting for the Muse to strike, but between my job, handling Mom, and dealing with the social life of a 4th grader, nothin' is coming to me. So I'll just give a quick update.

Madeleine is becoming quite the popular child and has discovered The Phone as a method to chat with her homies. She arranged a slumber party for Saturday all by herself. We had 5 girls and 2 boys (who just stayed for the afternoon). The door was shut for 2-3 minutes while the boys were there so Roger had to march down the hall and remind her that boys and girls are NOT allowed in a closed room. She cooked up s'mores herself for the gang. I heard her on the phone trying to arrange a sleepover at someone else's house for Saturday. She was having so much fun at the party that that she even allowed me to dance that dance where you stomp your foot. Right, now left. Three hops and reverse! Whatever that one is called. I taught the girls the Macarena and we did some weird version of the Electric Slide. Much fun! I'm humbly thrilled that she didn't give me the Look Of Extreme Rage when I joined in the dancing.

Mom is still sending money to crooks and we're still trying to stop it. On Friday I grabbed a letter addressed to a sweepstakes prize place with a $20.00 check in it. Sunday night she called, thrilled, because she just won $11,000. Dinner was cooking but I jumped in the car and went to the house.

"This is a fake check."

"No it's not."

"I've got dinner on the stove. Let me see it quick." A check was at the top of the letter, and it DID, I admit, kinda look real. It had no endorsement on the back, you know, like "Acceptance of this check will mean you're going to pay back 49&% interest blah blah." But of course it was fake. I grabbed the entire package "Here's your check for $11,000! Just send in $22.00 to claim it!! And then you'll be eligible for $801,000!! She had written on the form. "Thank you. It will be so exciting to have the money!" and had written the check for $22.00. I grabbed the whole stinking mess and ran for the car. Got home. Got a furious phone call demanding her money back. Now she's forgotten about it. Today her best friend visited and volunteered to take some letters to the post office. I called BF and told her about mom sending checks in the sweepstakes letters. She was horrified and apologetic..."There were letters to different companies." I told her no biggie, just bring me the letters if she tries that again. She added another worry:

"Your mom keeps trying to give me things. Today she offered me a silver teaspoon."

Another friend volunteered to take mom to church and said, "Ruth has given me several teacups."

So she's giving away her things to her friends. That is not a problem---her house is jammed with stuff, but it's another disturbing Alzheimer's symptom. She was prescribed the Aricept, but of course she got stomach cramps and couldn't take it, so she says. I knew this would happen.

I called the post office to ask why the forwarding order wasn't working. My sister, using her POA, filed a forwarding order to try to keep the junk mail out of Mom's hands. "We don't forward bulk mail or letters addressed to Occupant." He suggested I fax him a request to not deliver any mail to mom. So I did, decorating it liberally with words like ATTORNEY and SEVERE DEMENTIA, etc. Let's see if if helps.

Boring post, but that's what's going on around Chez Clueless. My sister's secretary is going to start going over there every day to run errands, etc. (She has finally accepted that the car isn't coming back) and we're going to install cameras to monitor. Lucky my BIL is a genius techno-nerd type.

She can care for herself and isn't really ready for an Alzheimer's unit yet, so let's hope that my sister's secretary can run errands for her and deflect the junk mail and we can keep rolling along for awhile.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Alyson and Ford said...

Your post was not the least bit boring. It's a eye opener and a very loving while painful look at what you are doing for someone you love so very much. I'm sorry you have this horrible disease to deal with and happy for you mom that she has you and your family there for her...

peace
fm

Georgia said...

I'm a mail carrier. You can call the post office and ask to speak to the actual carrier for you mother's address. He/She will be happy to toss the bulk mail...and more likely to remember if you speak to him/her directly and explain the situation.

I wish you all the best,
Georgia

Georgia said...

I'm a mail carrier. You can call the post office and ask to speak to the actual carrier for you mother's address. He/She will be happy to toss the bulk mail...and more likely to remember if you speak to him/her directly and explain the situation.

I wish you all the best,
Georgia

M said...

My heart goes out to you - my gram did the whole sweepstakes thing in her early dementia stages, too, which progressed to unscrupulous people calling her from overseas to get her bank account numbers - and she gave it to them - something to watch out for. Please don't forget to take care of yourself through all of this!

RamblingMother said...

Ugh!! My mom and her siblings were able to allow my grandmother to stay by herself for 3 years after the dementia really set in about 5 years after diagnosis of Alzheimer's. Then she did end up in the nursing home but by that time she was totally clueless. Still hard for me though as she was my favorite grandmother and I was extremely close to her. She passed in 2001 of something unrelated. It is a very hard illness on the family. My prayers are for you and your sister's sanity too while dealing with this.

Beverly

Anonymous said...

My grandfather had dementia and later Alzheimer's, and I can remember so much of the same things, giving stuff away, getting angry about things, but then completely forgetting about it later. I was just a kid, but my father was the one who dealt with most of the circumstances resulting from Grandpa's condition. I sometimes have dreams that it's my father who has Alzheimer's and it scares me. Mostly because I've read it can be genetic. Hang in there. I know it's difficult. Teh one regret I had was never recording the things my grandfather would say. He was like a walking history book.

ummmhello said...

Bravo! I don't know HOW you do it all, but you give the rest of us hope!
And um, I believe that's the cha-cha slide you were doing :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am so glad my grandparents got to pass with their dignity intact. I hope my parents get the same respect.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and wishing you the best

FDChief said...

I have to agree with alyson and ford: your tale of the Dementia from Hell is very personal and moving. I hope I have as much guts if and when my own parents start to go...

Good luck, and hopes, from those of us following along in the blogosphere...

Kathy of the HavinsNest said...

We're in the same place with our mom so you have my total sympathy and understanding.

Reading your posts about your mom and your situation with her helps me more than I can tell you.

Reading "The 36 Hour Day" helped too.

Hang in there.

Tammie said...

My grandmother passed away after suffering from Alzheimer's for quite a while. I know that this is a hard thing to deal with, & you really seem to be trying to let your mom have some dignity while living with this horrible disease.

I work for a bank & see many clients who get these sweepstakes letters. A few years ago, one of our tellers saved a 98 year old man from losing his life's savings. If you haven't already paid a visit to your mom's bank, you may want to so you can inform the manager as to what is happening. Also, since someone in the family is her POA, make sure that person is listed at the bank so your mom's account info can be discussed.

Wishing you well!

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs