Monday, December 19, 2005

Rufflebutt


No family photos yet. Tomorrow, maybe.
In the meantime, for all you waiting moms and dads:

Twas the night before Christmas,
And all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring,
Not even my spouse.

The stockings were hung on the mantle with care,
In hopes that my little girl soon would be there.
My husband was nested all snug in our bed,
But visions of Rufflebutt danced in my head.

The paperchase ended, it wasn't a snap,
Now I will just wait through a long, childless gap.
I dream of our daughter on this silent night,
in the living room lit by Christmas tree lights.

I ponder the challenge of raising a child.
Will she be playful, or meek, or silly, or wild?

I've been childless for so many years,
I've had scheduled sex,
basal temps, many tears.
I'm pregnant! I hear friends say to the mob.
I smile and congratulate, then go home and sob.

My heart has been broken,
I've been awfully sad,
As I open the drawer
And pull out a pad.

Somebody suggested
international adoption.
I listened intently then said
"Not an option."

But friends let me tell you
so plain and so clear
Things can change
a lot in a year.

Fate or destiny,
Now a different game plan
I will raise Rufflebutt
with my hunk of a man.

Now don't get me wrong,
cause I often still think,
What am I doing?
I must need a shrink.

But lo on this night
in sweet reverie,
I envision my daughter
right here with me.

I long for her smile
and the scent of her hair.
To hear the word Mommy-
nothing else will compare.

So Silent Night,
and Joy to the World,
as I sit here and dream of
my
little
girl.

-author unknown

2 comments:

Sparky said...

Thanks!!! That just put the biggest smile on my face

Julia said...

Love this poem!!

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs