Thursday, November 03, 2005

Hold That Tiger!

Halloween 2005

My very lovely friend Beverly generously donated her daughter's outgrown Clemson cheerleader uniform to Madeleine.

Meredith wore her Dad's old softball shirt and some matching striped pants.

Roger and I both attended the University of South Carolina. However, once I pulled up some cheerleader outfits online and pointed out the price, he generously allowed that perhaps allowing our treasured firstborn to wear the colors of our Most Hated Rival might not be such a terrible, terrible thing.

Eh, One Love and all, ya know? Why some of my very best friends went to Clemson. My parents have four degrees from the University of North Carolina, so I grew up sort of thinking that all SC schools were about the same (to listen to my parents, pathetically inferior).

So off we go to my brother in law's neighborhood, since we live in a suburb populated with Crabby Old People Who Hate Halloween.

We were about to wind up a fairly uneventful greedfest. I was standing in somebody's driveway chatting idly with my sister in law while her husband and Roger worked the trick or treaters when I heard a howl split the air. "OOOOOEEE!!! John, COME HERE! YOU'VE GOT TO SEE THIS! COME HERE RAHT NOW!! OOOOEEEEE THIS IS THE CUTEST THING EVAH!"

Roger didn't scream like that on our wedding night.

I looked up, startled. And what to my wondering eyes doth appear...but a tiny Clemson cheerleader standing at the doorway of a house festooned with Clemson flags and decorations and a screaming lady at the door.

I watched the lady upend the entire rest of the candy bowl into Madeleine's trick or treat bag as she did a little Clemson Dance Of Joy.

"HONEH YOU'RE THE MOST PRESHUS THANG I'VE SEEN ALL NIGHT!" she screams. "HONEH DO YOU KNOW THE CLEMSON FIGHT SONG? CAN YOU SING IT FOR ME?"

I tugged frantically at Roger's sleeve. "What's the song?" I whispered. "Hold That Tiger!" he replied softly.

"No...no..." stammered Madeleine. "I'm sorry."

"That's ok!" she replied, thankfully in a normal tone. "Honeh, you just made my night!"

I knew that kid would bring joy to the world.

I just KNEW IT.

4 comments:

Cricket said...

Gooooo Tigers!!!! Growing up, my room had pale orange walls, bright orange carpeting, and a fake plastic Tiffany lamp hanging in the middle of this mess.

I was accepted, but opted for the small, private school instead.

My ex was a Gamecock fan. I considered it a mixed marriage.

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD I miss living in South Carolina sometimes.

Go Cocks!

Anonymous said...

fantastic!
nice to see another member of the usc alumni assn. who can read and write. =)

Pigs said...

Oh my gosh, so cute! I'm a converted Clemson fan (my husband went there) transplanted to Texas and I just saw your blog on Guusje's blogroll! I'll have to check back with you....even Gamecocks are welcome to me out here in Texas!!

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs