Thursday, November 17, 2005

Making Lemonade

I've always tried to make lemonade. Here's how the refreshing fruity beverage is coming so far.

The kids are, understandably, confused and upset. Just add it to the list of Things I Didn't Think I'd Be Discussing With The Kids At Age 5 and 7. Of course, I'm sure that there were families who didn't think they'd be explaining why Mom or Dad or Uncle Mark won't be coming home on 9/12/01, either.

It's a rough world, and it's hard to see innocence fade.

Lemonade alert: I did take the opportunity to do a Home Fire Drill. Mad propz to me! That's one of those things, like flossing, that I always think might be a great idea but I never actually do.

Lemonade alert: The kids came to work with me yesterday and I was so proud of my quiet, well behaved kids. I didn't even have to threaten them with a dire penalty--apparently the thought of coming to work with me is so mind-blowingly exciting that the threat of no future visits was enough to ensure angelic behavior. Ms. Perfect (Meredith) voluntarily brought along her reading work "to practice"; Madeleine practiced writing in cursive as they both sat at my feet during Criminal Law and Property Law. As I explained brothels, title searches and why the 1st Amendment right to free speech doesn't include child pornography, they kept on working and drawing pictures. Occasionally Madeleine would tug at my leg and ask how to make a "cursive r."

"I'm homeschooling them," I cracked to my class. They howled with laughter.

The kids surrounded me at my desk as I printed out a Criminal Justice test. Madeleine poked at my arm and said, "I know the answer to number 3!"

"Sure you do honey," I mumbled. "No! I really DO!" she insisted. The question was:

Who keeps order in the courtroom and announces the judge's entry to the courtroom? a. The local court administrator b. the court recorder c. the bailiff d. the clerk of court.

"It's the BAILIFF!" she cried. "That's RIGHT!" I yelled. "HOW THE HECK DID YOU KNOW THAT?"

"I saw it on the Amanda show," she proudly stated.

Lemonade alert: School opens tomorrow, Friday, in a temporary location.

2 comments:

Cricket said...

Hurray for that new fangled education from flexible and industrious mom as well as the temp school location.

I sure hope they catch the bastard.

Anonymous said...

Lemonade indeed!

It just so sucks that someone burned their school down......so sucks.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs