Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

September, 1966
Small towns really freak me out. It's all in what you're used to. I grew up in the great anonymous burbs of the sixties, where you didn't know the name of everybody on your block.

I don't know any neighbors except for the ones across the street and right next door. I like it like that.

My job, however, is in a relatively small South Carolina town. Therefore, I am forced to deal with the, um, horribly irritating Mayberry style friendliness. Just leave me be, allow me to go about my weirdly eccentric life without comment, please, I snarl testily under my breath.

I am a local legend at the McDonald's near my job. I eat there at least three times a week. "One Caesar salad, hold the chicken, light raspberry viniagrette dressing, extra croutons, HOT FRIES, Medium Diet Coke-Light Ice!" I sing gaily into the drive through microphone.

I hear them talking. "It's the No-Meat Lady!" "She's gonna need more croutons!""Make her some new fries!"

Once a month I order a regular meal like a normal person. "Where's your SALAD?" they ask as I pay.

Oh, speaking of paying, I pay with a credit card to rack up the points on my Disney Visa card.

Last week, I ordered The Usual into the drive through microphone.

The order taker paused dramatically after I placed the order.

"Um...Lorrie"....she began. "I think you should know that our credit card machine is down."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

why in THE hell aren't you going to Lizard's Thicket??? They have an awesome veggie plate AND they let you write checks :).

carolinagirl79 said...

Oh this is the mcd's near my job. No LT nearby (sad face)

Roger's family and the LT family are close friends. (both big Catholic families that sent the kids to Cardinal Newman)

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, Lizard's Thicket. The one by my apartment had waitresses in outfits that matched the curtains. It was awesome.

I grew up in a small town, albeit in Michigan with stalward Midwesterners, so it all seems normal to me. You mean there are places where the drive-thru people DON'T recognize you?

Anonymous said...

Lizard's was my first job and the ONLY time I ever waited on tables....I was awful.....it was the original Lizards on Broad River and people would actually leave me a penny just so I knew that they knew that they were suppposed to tip but i just sucked so bad....however, Bobby liked me so much that I was actually the first person who wasn't a family member to work behind the cash register. Bobby still says that I was the worst waitress they ever had but the best hostess. I'm good at greetin' people....just don't make me serve them.

Too funny about Roger and them! What a small world!

Ohhhhh, how I miss turnip greens and their macaroni and cheese and fried chicken salad. The first place i go when I land in SC is the Lizards by the airport.....i'm gettin' homesick.

Amyesq said...

As a Southern CA anonymous suburb person, I am quite frightened that:

1) The peeps at your McDonald's could ever know you that well and

2) There is evidently another place where people eat that is called Lizard's Thicket.

Anonymous said...

Just came over from Julianna's. I really like your blog - you're pretty funny! Also, you cough may linger for three weeks or more, even after you are better. Just so you know. Take care!

carolinagirl79 said...

Um..no..Andy...Do I want to know? (g)

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs