Friday, February 25, 2011

Life With Fibromyalgia


Before: 2005

Me:  I wonder what pain-real pain-is like?  It must be awful.  I sure feel sorry for people in pain.  I managed to become a mother twice without any pain.  How lucky I am.  

My life is perfect.   I am so happy.  I have so many wonderful friends, I love my job, my kids, my husband.    

I KNOW this is perfect.  I'm scared.  What is going to happen? 

My head hurts.  Do I have any Aleve?  (opens desk drawer) Yeah.  (swallows one).  Okay, back to grading papers.
*************************
After: 2011 

Me:  Everything hurts all the time.  Most of my friends have  forgotten me or they're not speaking to me because I had to cancel a social engagement.  Oh well, at least I know who I can count on now.  

(phone rings)
Me:  Hello?

Pharmacist:  Hi, Lorrie!  (yes, they know me by name)

Me:  Hey, Charlotte, what's up?

Pharmacist:  Just calling to tell you we don't usually carry  (insert extremely potent pain killer, level DEFCON 10).  We have to special order it.  It will be in on Monday.

Me:  Hold on a sec.  (counts pills).  I think I can make it till then..I have 4 left.....

Pharmacist:  Remember that it will be Monday afternoon.

Me:  Okay.  Thanks.

Pharmacist:  I remember when the only thing you picked up here was Madeleine's ear infection stuff.

Me:  I know.  Well you have a good weekend and tell the kids I said hi.  How's the softball going?

Pharmacist:  Okay, practices are driving me crazy.

Me:  Yeah, know the feeling.  Well, as always, if you find any spare Demerol, swing by.

Pharmacist:  (laughs)   Maybe they'll find a cure for this.

Me:  No more than I do, even if it means you have to take a pay cut.

Pharmacist:  (laughs)  Later.

2 comments:

Zelda said...

I'm so sorry Lorrie.

Karen M. Peterson said...

Are there times when it lets up and you don't feel it as bad?

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs