Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pink Ruffles Lead To Sluts-R-Us!!!!













Hi Liana.  I feel you!

Liana commented that it would be nice to have gender neutral valentines for kids and is getting a number of trollish commenters.   Do what?   It seemed like a pretty innocent comment.  But then, last time I looked, I thought it was 2011.  I know my FACE looks like it  :).  

See that kid up there?  She's a girl.  She's 10 years old.  

She shops in the boy's department for clothes.

Yes, this is an old argument, but it becomes very real when you are dressing a 12 and a 10 year old.  I remember reading complaints about whorish clothes for older girls when my kids were young and laughing.  Surely that fad would have passed by the time mine were old enough.

No, it hasn't.

Shopping for clothes for tweens is like being transported to Sluts R' Us.  

Are you clothing designers TRYING to attract pedophiles?

Do you really think it's cute for an adolescent girl to wear plunging shirts and have provacative slogans prominently displayed on her backside?

Well, let me tell you my answer.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm voting with my feet.  And I have encountered no resistance from my kids, either.

Neither of them want to look like junior hookers.  They are displaying taste that I can only assume was genetically passed on to them because I personally have always been fashion challenged.

It's cute, I guess, when you are faced with a sea of pink ruffles for a baby girl, or a truck and boat theme for a boy.  But waitaminit, isn't this 2011?   I could have SWORN there was some change afoot since...1955.

I could SWEAR that I've heard about women being firemen, doctors, lawyers, Native American chiefs, yachting champions, race car drivers, etc.

I don't mind buying boy's clothing.  Amazingly enough, I can wash a pair of boy's jeans more than three times without having them disintegrate.   

But I would like to see attractive, appropriate clothing for girls who want to look feminine as well as girls who don't.

Is that too much to ask? 

2 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

Thank you! And AMEN!

Peggy said...

I so agree, and really bikini Panties for 4 year olds? And Daisy Dukes for little girls. Let us dress our little girls to attract all the sick pedophiles out there, good idea.
What is wrong with these mothers?

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs