I'm just sitting around thinking over the past year while Roger runs the vacuum cleaner for the New Year's party. I figured I might as well see if I can parse out what happened to me in 2010 and make sense of it all and get ready for 2011.
2010 for me, was defined by lack. Lack of health, due to fibromyalgia. And I've been honest about it, and what that means to future employers I care not. Because it's there, and I will never have the luxury of waking up one day and forgetting about it.
****************
****************
Even if I somehow manage to tame the beast, I will have to do something every few hours to tame it for the rest of my life. Whether that means taking a pill, or trying to stay positive, I cannot ignore the elephant in the living room.
Lack of money. I was lucky enough to get retirement through the State of South Carolina, my employer for many years. But our kids are on reduced price school lunches. Our income has been drastically slashed.
I've almost enjoyed it, in a masochistic fashion. My parents trained me since birth to prepare for the next Great Depression, and I've enjoyed utilizing all the tips and tricks they taught me-like finding a zero percent credit card to finance the new washer/dryer set--to make do.
I've almost enjoyed it, in a masochistic fashion. My parents trained me since birth to prepare for the next Great Depression, and I've enjoyed utilizing all the tips and tricks they taught me-like finding a zero percent credit card to finance the new washer/dryer set--to make do.
Lack of...income. I was brought up in a home where it was assumed that I would train for a profession and practice it. Maybe my parents thought I'd take off a few years when the kids arrived, but you could do that back in their day, in their field. My field, academia, not so much. There were a dozen jobs in my field in the entire state. Now there are like--eight.
***********************
I've tried to define my worth in a way that has nothing to do with a paycheck. (I know--cliche). To be honest, I've failed. I feel unworthy without a job to go to every day. I love every second of it..from slapping at the alarm clock, to climbing in the car, to cutting up with coworkers, to sitting in my office helping people (hopefully) to climbing in the car to go home feeling that I helped hold up my end of the family load.
I want to go back to work.
Lack of...finding a way to heal from fibromyalgia. The AMA says there is no cure. I've tried everything...if someone told me that I would be healed if I hung upside down, singing the Star Spangled Banner, and drinking camel pee, I'd do it. Nothing has worked so far. But stay tuned, because I plan to try everything on the face of the planet. I'm still taking guaifenisen, and sometimes I think it's helping, and sometimes I think the Rohun healing is helping, and then right now my legs and back ache like crazy and I feel like nothing has worked and nothing ever will.
*********************
*********************
Strangely enough, I found my faith again this year. Maybe for the first time ever, I'm convinced that there is a God. That's all tied in with the Rohun healing stuff. I can't even begin to explain what it is or why I feel like there is a God, and why I'm not mad at God, but try Rohun healing and get back to me.
Lack of...anger. People have been mean. People have been incredibly kind and loving. I have to keep my mouth shut about mean people. I want to spill out all the poisonous feelings of anger and hatred. I want to point my finger at people and scream, "J'accuse!" I want to point my finger at myself and scream the same thing. Because somehow I feel like that it's my fault that I got sick.
***********************************
***********************************
But I have to let it go. Let. It. Go. Forget about it. Wish my enemies well. I believe in karma and ultimate justice, and I believe wholeheartedly that stewing in righteous indignation is a worthless way to spend my life.
I'm working on it.
***********************
***********************
Lack of...hope. By this time next year, I expect that my mom will have died. In fact, I hope so. She's dead already. I can't even take the time to mourn her. Every day there is a stack of bills to pay, a phone call about ordering diapers or a new drug, a phone call about a new twist in the never ending saga of a body breaking down. I have no time to grieve. I can't be there for her if I take time to wallow in grief. I have to make sure that the complicated financial machinery that allows her to stay in a posh nursing home keeps running.
It feels awful and weird to say it, but I can't wait for her to die so I can grieve. So I can remember the happy years together instead of the horrible nasty woman she was before she slipped into a world where she can't talk. Alzheimer's takes no prisoners. Three years ago, we celebrated our last Christmas together. She was a little spacy but still there. Now she cannot eat or talk. I showed her the picture of the Christmas table I set with her china and she looked interested. I wonder if she understood anything.
**************************
My inlaws are getting older and sicker also. I hope they don't die...the Watsons have fantastic genetic material. But that's just another ticking time bomb.
What will 2011 bring?
I am going to close this by wishing myself, and you...not luck. I don't put much trust in that fickle lady.
I wish you..and me...courage.











4 comments:
It must be so frustrating hoping for a cure to a disease that some people in the medical community still don't believe exists. I can't imagine what fibromyalgia is like and I really don't want to find out!
I know EXACTLY what you mean about your mother, though. My grandmother has had Alzheimer's for several years. Three years ago she had a stroke and was put on hospice because they thought she was about to die. She's still on hospice, can't get out of bed, is literally skin and bones, and has to be spoon fed baby food. But since she still seems to want the food, we still keep giving it to her. I just don't see how much longer this can go on.
I know it is trite but life is a roller coaster with ups and downs. This next year holds all the possibilities for up. I have a friend who is a Rohun healer so I understand what you mean about that. You have weathered a very hard year and you are still Lorrie. Good times are ahead for you.
Have you been tested for Celiac's? I know someone who is in her thirties, but was diagnosed with fibromyalgia at 18. She was just diagnosed with Celiac's this fall!! I'm gluten-free, dairy-free and I feel great. I'm gluten sensitive not intolerant like someone with Celiac's.
Happy New Year!
Ah, Lorrie. I so wish I hadn't been sick when you came to NY. We have so much to talk about. First, I wish you health and happiness for the new year. Second, OMG I so hear you on the mom thing. I hope my mom goes this year too. She wants to so bad. She has full faculties, but her body is gone -- she can't eat or walk or see and she pees herself constantly and is in pain and wants to die. Ugh -- it's horrible.
Hugs and love to you. Happy New Year, my Southern sister!
Post a Comment