Saturday, February 14, 2009

Christmas With The Machete Hanging Over My Head Part I

Hey, what better time to chronicle Christmas than on Valentine's Day? Watch for the Valentine's Day post on Easter. Actually, I'll sum up V-Day around here. Zippo. We don't believe in spending zillions of dollars on a holiday manufactured by Hallmark yada yada.

Our love is so beautiful, fabulous, perfect, wonderful, eternal, timeless that we don't need anything else. Around here it's "Yo! Roger! Do (insert tiresome, boring, devilishly hard chore) here! Every kiss begins with 'Kay!

I'll stop here while you empty your stomach contents.

Well, so the *&*& fool didn't go to the dentist for 3 years and I made him an appointment and then he started going back regularly (because of his terror of me finding out he had stopped again and since *I* had him add Super Dental it's free anyway except for the monthly dental insurance premiums but I digress) And a wonderful dentist found a tiny little sore that turned out to be the beginning of oral cancer which would have probably killed him in 2 years if it had not been detected and I found all this out on December 22, 2008.

December 22 I was calm.
December 23 I was calm
December 24 I woke up and remembered:

1. It was Christmas Eve
2. This was the season of festive joy
3. I had fibromyalgia
4. Mom's dying a slow and agonizing death from Alzheimer's
5. My mom's pastor was celebrating Holy Communion at her nursing home and
6. I was supposed to attend and
7. My husband and mother both had diseases and
8. things looked bad.

And so I started crying and crying and crying and crying and crying and crying and crying and my sister called to see when I was arriving at the nursing home and I replied, "aaaaeeeeeGULPwaaaaaaahGULP" and instead of attending the communion I had Roger drive me to the local mental hospital. Where I very seriously considered checking in, except that it was Christmas Eve and I didn't want to ruin it For Da Chilluns plus I didn't know how much my insurance would cover and I figured I'd be even MORE depressed if I got a bill for $30,000 in a few months.

I spilled my guts to an intake counselor and asked for a shot of something or a pill to just let me slide gently through the next two days and got a hearty thumbs up and no drugs and a referral to a counselor. Which I ignored. Why am I depressed? I think I have it figured out. And now that Roger has an "all clear" from his oncology oral surgeon I am not terribly depressed. I'm not HAPPY HAPPY JOLLY JOLLY but one day the ordeal with Mom will be over, my fibro will be controlled, and I'll be really happy again. In fact, I have good days.

So we did Christmas Eve and I felt...happy. And when I saw the looks on the kids faces when they saw Razor Scooters and Rock Band 2 for Wii under the tree I felt...happy. And when they asked me to sing "Eye Of The Tiger" I felt...ecstatic. Nobody has EVER asked me to sing before, considering that I would definitely appear on "Worst Of American Idol" auditions if I ever tried out.

And now, after hearing "Eye Of The Tiger" 432 times, I'm...not so happy with that song anymore. Even though Survivor is one of my favorite bands ever. In fact, I chose the lyrics from "The Search Is Over" to announce Madeleine's adoption





and the lyrics from "High On You" to announce Meredith's adoption.





Yes, I do realize that the songs are about adult romances, but the lyrics applied so well to the love we feel for our daughters and the miracle of finding them literally on the other side of the world, I changed them in my mind to songs about our beautiful daughters. It's funny, but Meredith DOES have "piercing eyes....like a raven."


No comments:

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs