First I need to explain to you that I wasn't the fat pimply friendless geek girl, ok? But I had a lot of dork in me. Oh yes. A lot. That just happens to be a picture of me in flattering light without the 6 foot thick glasses which I wore in the day. I still wear glasses. I can't wear contacts and lasik scares me.
Then I need to explain to you that I am almost frighteningly gregarious, I love parties, I love drinking and smoking, I love meeting total strangers and partying. I am Southern, trained to be GRAY-SHUS. Trained to be social.
But I'm terrified. TERRIFIED.
Because I'm a Z-list blogger. And the first time that somebody looked at my badge, didn't recognize me, and walked away would have devastated me.
And this hot, gorgeous, popular chica was snubbed. Good lord, if it had been me, I probably wouldn't have just been snubbed, I probably would have been beaten over the head with an Ipod phone, first generation.
And of course the entire internet is talking about the Unfortunate Series Of Events that was started by the awesome and funny Bloggess posting an adorable post which made me laugh (and which I thought was supposed to be flattering, seriously) about The World's Most Famous and Revered Blogger. And the aftermath was caught on videotape.
And if someone had called me Janet I would have simply locked myself into a bathroom stall the same way I did when Susan Shelley pointed out that I had corn stuck on my braces in the 8th grade.
And I won't lie to you...I'm still a seething mass of insecurity and sheer terror.
Somebody talked about meeting people she had actually exchanged emails with, them reading her tag, and walking away. I've exchanged emails with some very very popular people and talented writers who have written very nice responses to a total stranger writing them. (Well Miss Cellania is a friend of mine, but the others didn't know me from adam). A blogger that writes the some of the funniest stuff on the web has complimented my blog and it made my day. Yeah, I'm a fangirl.
And once again the web vibrates with the sound of "I had a great time and made some awesome connections" vs. "It was just like high school and I felt left out and excluded from the private parties." Of course, some ballsy chicks crashed it. If a one of the most famous chicks on the net felt insecure, gawd help me.
I don't want to spend a thousand dollars on a trip only to be regressed to high school dance time.
Ok, I'll start slow with Blogher Greensboro. And if some of my homies want to be my roommate next year in SF? Email me. I love to party, I love swag, and I love the idea that bloggers are finally getting some respect from the real world. Even if the New York Times didn't write about them in the right section.











11 comments:
I've only ever left one comment on your blog (I guess I am a 'lurker', which is a term that just sounds creepy). I am; however, a fan and check your blog on a daily basis. Suffice it to say, you have managed to make me laugh out loud, sigh with empathy and even managed to elicit some tears. Your candor and wit are most appreciated. Keep blogging.
Dayum! I'm glad I didn't go, either. Of course, I always EXPECT that no one will know who I am, or care even if they do. Radio taught me that lesson. No matter how many million readers you have, that's still a tiny tiny fraction of internet traffic.
Dooce is famous because she's famous. It was a matter of being in the right place at the right time, to become the first profitable personal blogger. I never found her writing to be all that interesting. And being famous in any fashion doesn't automatically make anyone worth hanging out with.
No doubt you'll be a star at the Greensboro meetup. And then you'll have a posse to take to next year's BlogHer!
BlogHer sounds absolutely not fun at all. Who wants to be made to feel insecure? After all, isn't blogging about empowerment?
Greensboro sounds like just the place for an alternative to BlogHer.
You can't be a Z-list blogger AND have Ms. Cellania leaving comments!
Love,
your fangirl!
I found you via Harriet Meiers blog...damn I miss that blogger!...and think you're terrific. I can understand not wanting to attend that quivering mass of bloggy insecurity in person...next time, consider attending through Second Life (the virtual world). The people are friendlier, the bloggers just as "important"...and you can wear virtual stilettoes for hours and never get so much as a teensy cramp.
Blogher is A BLAST. REALLY!
don;t miss all the great posts about the FUN it was. truly, even the end was fun.
you look pretty cute. i dont think you'll have a hard time hooking up with a roomie.
Longtime lurker - love your writing.
I've been to BlogHer three times now and always had fun, even the first year when I knew no one. It would be fun to meet you in 09!
Another long time creepy lurker here. You should go to blog her. (Not that I would know about it I am a ZZ list blogger LOL)
I have friends who have gone and had a ball. I am looking forward to hear about the Greensboro rendition of the event.
What I learned from blogher is that so many of us are terrified and that's why the bathrooms are so full. We're all hiding in there and discovering each other. Blogher isn't perfect but I was taken aback by how nice people were to me who didn't know me at all. More than once I found myself crying in the bathroom from anxiety and perfect strangers came to hug me. That's what sisterhood is all about.
If you go next year, come find me. I'll be in the bathroom.
I cannot even believe you think of yourself as Z list! *I* am Z list. I can understand not wanting to go all the way to SF to wander around talking to people you may or may not know for 3-4 days. But! If you are going to Greensboro (first time I've heard off this one), oo! oo! I wanna go too!
Well, I am going to Greensboro. Email me at the email listed on my profile if you (anyone out there) is going.
Hugs to all of you totally like awesome people and my kids need to start school because I am starting to talk and write like them, yo.
Post a Comment