I was reading my blog with a brain that seems to be actually working again instead of in a cymbalta haze and I forgot to explain that we don't have little Delilah yet.
****************
*****************
See, I first became a mother in 1990 when I adopted my poodle son Nicky. Sadly enough, he had inherited a terrible disease called Progressive Retinal Atrophy. He was blind by age 5.
There were no tests for PRA in 1990, but now there is. So Delilah is getting tested for it--at our expense--and we'll get her after the tests come back negative (I hope).
**********************
***********************
PRA has wrecked havoc among minature poodle breeders over the past 30 years. While the lines that carry it are gradually being eliminated, DO NOT BUY A POODLE UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN TESTED FOR IT. This company tests for it.
********************
*********************
Not only did Nicky lose his eyesight, but he lost his ability to tear up and his eyes were always fire engine red. I had to put drops in them until I finally had them removed. It didn't really affect the way he looked--I kept him cut so you couldn't really tell--but it was weird, having a dog with no eyes at all.
********************
********************
Don't buy a poodle from a backyard breeder or a pet shop!! Unless one of your hobbies is Russian Roulette.












No comments:
Post a Comment