Wednesday, January 02, 2008

My Closets Are Cleaner Than Yours

My closet before:

I could not stand it one more second. See all the stuff on top? That's all the "scrapbooks" that I made one summer when I worked part time. (My idea of scrapbooking--shove an envelope of photos inside a plastic sleeve and write something on them). Plus there's the memory boxes for the kids (Madeleine's contains a beautiful picture on the cover and Meredith's is blank. Too bad, second kid). The blue thing is my first jewelry box which contains many interesting historic trinkets including a WIP (Whip Inflation Now) pin from Gerald Ford. The hat was given to Roger for his 40th birthday and has Death on it with the inscription "Relax, I'm just here for the cake." All in all, a terrifying mess held by sagging boards.

Now this: You can actually SEE the rocking chair that was used to rock my precious infant self instead of some MAN using it as his personal "CLOTHES THAT AREN'T DIRTY ENOUGH TO WASH YET" recepticle.

Madeleine's closet Before:
What do we have here? I hung up her Halloween ballet tutu on the curtain rod. My oh my, Martha Stewart had better concede the prize as the most tasteful person on the planet. If you look closely at the top of the closet on the right hand side you can see the 1966 Show 'N Tell that I hoped to resurrect for my kids, who I'm sure aren't like JADED or anything from the Wii that Santa brought.
I still have all my old Show N' Tell records and slides, but the light bulb burnt out. I called GE and the customer service rep chuckled and told me they didn't make light bulbs anymore for the Show N' Tell. So much for bringing good things to life, eh? However, I poked around on ebay and found somebody who sells a bulb that will work. Smashing! Ebay is the most wonderful website on the planet.

If I hadn't found out that Daddy's 50 old computers (I'm not kidding. He bought them at garage sales. He once had 9 old nasty cars. Can you say HOARDER?) weren't worth a dime by consulting ebay, I might have wasted time trying to sell them instead of hauling them to the Salvation Army, where thousands of homeless alcoholics probably found salvation through a Commodore computer. Actually, they are probably in a toxic landfill somewhere but la de da, that's my great grandchildren's problem. I'll be dead soon.

After. See the big box on top? That contains light bulbs. We're buying the new type that are saving massive amounts of energy, and I might just freecycle the whole mess of them. I cannot stand paying money to the power companies.


Meredith's closet Before:

I...I...just don't know how to convey the horror that lies before you here. First of all, Roger's clothes are in here. I, personally, have so many clothes that there is not room for them in the master bedroom. Please contain your jealously. 90% are hand me downs from my sister and late aunt (who had literally 500 outfits, and some of them fit) and the other 10% are thrift shop finds. The outfit I wore in the slide show where you get to see my hair which I swear really ISN'T ORANGE IN REAL LIFE..anyway, the outfit where I'm hugging my family lovingly while Madeleine looks snitty (Folks, the tween attitude is already here. Boarding school is looking better all the time). ANYWAY. I found the top in a thrift shop for a dollar and the bottom is a Kathie Lee Gifford skirt from Walmart that cost $10.00. I used to love her clothes because size 12 skirts always fit me perfectly. I could grab one while feeding a toddler animal crackers and a sippy cup and roll right along. Dang I miss them.


If you look carefully you can see a cross stitch, a real, genuine, lovingly hand crafted cross stitch that I bought at a thrift shop. It says "Ashley Clare Daniels, born January 14, 1987--You're so precious, you're so dear. How blessed we are to have you here" on it. I intended to rip that out and cross stitch Madeleine's name on it, but it will be great for the first grandchild, which I hope will not arrive in 7 years. Since I fully intend to inform my daughters about effective birth control and abstain from cavorting in nightclubs choosing instead to spend my time on the internet searching for effective chastity belts, I hope to avoid becoming a young grandmother, and if you are thinking that I am old enough to be a young grandmother right now and that I will certainly be an old grandmother by the time my children finish their PhDs and get MARRIED (or have a commitment ceremony), I would like to personally invite you to...oh dear, I promised my advertisers I wouldn't put any profanity on the blog.
After:

I tried to have Roger's pants cover the two old computers we have which contain the original emails we received about Madeleine's referral. It sure would be nice to pull them off of the drive but the drive had candy, pencils, crayons, and lollipops inserted in it once upon a time. No grandchild will ever get close to my computers.

So concludes my self congratulatory essay on What I Did Over My Christmas Vacation. I left out the part about sleeping 14 hours a day, watching trashy movies, and eating mountains of cookies.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am gasping in totally awestruck amazement and bowing and groveling, saying, "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!"

That's just amazing. You are a better woman than I am, Gunga Din.

Put more succinctly: Wow!

Jennifer said...

Wow, indeed!
My husband puts his "not dirty enough to wash" clothes ON TOP OF THE HAMPER. Makes me crazy.
Happy new year!

beagle said...

Now I have a serious case of closet envy!

Amyesq said...

Wow! My goal for maternity leave was to do this to our closets. And after four months I go back Tuesday and our closets look worse than they did when I decided they needed to be overhauled. I am very jealous. They look amazing.

RamblingMother said...

I am impressed and yes they are. So how are you going to keep them this clean?

Beverly

Stinky Mouse said...

I love clean closets. We put similar systems into our little master "walk-in" and a couple other closets to make room before we adopted Kai over two years ago. The beauty is the closet has to be completely emptied to install the new shelving system, which forces you to touch everything in there. Great way to shed the old junk. I wish I could say they still look great two years later, but they are packed to the brim again. I was going to clean closets again this break, but didn't get any further than taking the "before" photos. I'm jealous.

Miss Cellania said...

I am so jealous! Not only do you have closets, they are organized! If I had more than one closet, I'd still never clean more than one closet in a year. As it is, I am afraid to venture into my kids' chifforobes.

ummmhello said...

Impressive! Amazing! AND you made me laugh :) I'd beg you for help organizing my own crazy house, but part of the reason our house is so crazy is we have ONE closet for 4 people. And it's in my son's room! DH and I use a cheap standing enclosed rack thing (I think it was his brother's gun rack) and I glued some pretty fabric on the doors. But that's it :( Our bedroom looks like a closet threw up - there are clothes everywhere. Sorry to write such a novel in your comments but you really got me thinking!

Anonymous said...

Could you hook up the old dinosaurs and email the files you want thru attachments to yourself? I had to do that once, and although it took about 14 weeks for the files to attach, it saved me a whole $60 in getting them transferred to removable storage.

comingaroundagain said...

Ha! I loved that - "clothes not dirty enough to wash yet" . . . I thought I might be the only one that would do such a thing (and I'm not the husband).

. . . thinking maybe this should have been an 'anonymous' comment.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs