Update on the lawyer situation:
Third Cousin called back and I believe we're going to hire her. What a relief! It's so good to KNOW you're dealing with a competent person. How I wish I had an inside connection to the world of medicine.
Andrew never called back.
Pamela called and I was so shocked that I nearly killed myself. I was just making a right turn out of a gas station and picked up the phone and BEEEPPP from a very huge, very angry truck that was on my bumper shook me up but good. I'm feeling tons better but one thing about Fibro is that is causes bone-deep fatigue sometimes. It comes and goes. This was one of the days it was there. I must have forgotten to look left before I turned out of the gas station. AAARRGH.
Carly had her secretary call. Three days later. Why how nice of you!! What a thrill to tell her secretary that we'd already hired somebody else. I didn't add, "and by the way, that's the last referral you're getting from me," because I'm so darn nice.
Mom called last night. She was in tears, and acknowledged that she had Alzheimer's for the first time. But she wasn't crying over that. She was crying because she was worried about her taxes. (Go figure). I reminded her that I had prepared her taxes for 10 years and that I was happy to do it again and that we would "protect and care for you." She thanked me profusely. I doubt that she is going to interpret being served with legal papers as a protective and loving gesture, but one does what one has too.
Someone emailed and suggested that we get her to sign a power of attorney. We HAVE power of attorney. But it isn't good enough. It's revokable at all times by the one granting it, and it still gives her access to her money. I visualize some scumbag showing up at her house and driving her to every bank in town until they find the ones where we've hidden her money. I clandestinely rifled through the place where she had hidden several diamond rings and they were gone, but I'm sure she has them in one of her safety deposit boxes. She likes to keep her good jewelry in her safety deposit box. That's fine. I was just worried that someone would come in and rob her.
I read some news article about an experimental treatment for memory loss where they implant electrodes in your brain in England and I'm tempted to fly her over there. The only small problems I see here are that 1. She is severely agoraphobic and 2. has no passport and 3. they aren't running any clinical trials that are open. But it's going to really hork me off if they discover The Cure ten years too late.
I faxed our POA to her Long Term Care Company on Jan 23 and requested that claim forms be mailed to me immediately. I called today. The lady said she'd be sure to get them out tomorrow. It was obvious none had been sent. Oh well. That would have been too efficient.
Now I'm starting to grieve but I feel guilty after reading Snickollet, a young widow and working mother of baby twins. And Dorcasina and my precious Miss Cellania, all young mothers and widows. I can handle losing parents, a vicious painful disease, whatever. But keep my kids and husband safe and I can take whatever comes. Please God. Please.











5 comments:
Oh, lordy, L, do NOT NOT NOT feel guilty about how this is making you grieve. It's a shitty situation all around, and it's *worth* grieving.
There are some other new developments in Alzheimer's treatment possibilities; one is a shot of a particular drug to combat rheumatoid arthritis that turns out to have a side effect of improving cognition in AD folks--I think they're going to be doing some clinical trials. Then there's the tinfoil hat, which is being hawked by a doc via press release before a study has been done, but some doctor bloggers have VERY CAUTIOUSLY (VERY) said that there's a possibility there is a small effect. It's similar to the direct stimulation, except it's using low infrared (or is it *high* infrared?).
In the meantime, though, yes it sucks. Because it does look like they're making progress, but it's slow. And you're dealing with the here-and-now.
Lori, you can't compare misery; you can only share it. Just because others have gone through hard times doesn't mean you are any less entitled to your feelings. This sucks, there's no denying it.
I'm glad third cousin came out for you. You are doing all that you can, and that's all you can do.
(((hugs)))
I feel for you. The worry, the guilt, the tiredness, the running about in crisis-mode... Here's sending you lots of energy and good-spirits to persevere.
Mmmmmyeah. I forgot the "revokable at any time" part of the POA. Well, day-um.
I've got to back up Miss Cellania here. We lost our first daughter at birth and I can't think of anything more terrible in my life. But I've never had to deal with my beloved parent losing her/his mind. It's not a question of degree - each heartbreak is sufficient to the evil thereof. Mine doesn't make yours any less...just yours.
Hope this works out. If hopes and good wishes made a difference...
I've been amazed, after reading your blog for a long while now, at how absolutely committed to your family you are. And, as I sat here today and read your last three posts, I cried.
Just know that, from here in Colorado, we're on your side, and are wishing only the best for you. We're going through the first stages of this with my in-laws in O'Burg, trying to get them to admit that things are not quite as they were 10 years ago. So, we will learn from your struggles.
I wanted you to know how helpful hearing your frustration is. Helpful in that one tends to think that it's only me, other people don't feel this way.
Thanks for your humanity.
Post a Comment