So it's the first violin recital for Miss Madeleine Margaret Changsheng, and I'm clicking away like mad with my Nikon. Got a lot of shots of her while she was posing for her formal portrait (the photographer was cool with it, as long as I wrote the check for HIS pictures), then lots of shots of her setting up, etc.
Then I start to hear the murmurs from other familes.
"She must be a professional photographer."
I was too busy shooting to pay any attention. Then I figured it out. Why was a Caucasian woman shooting 100 pictures of an Asian child? Why, her parents must have hired me to, um, PROFESSIONALLY PHOTOGRAPH HER.
Then I start to hear the murmurs from other familes.
"She must be a professional photographer."
I was too busy shooting to pay any attention. Then I figured it out. Why was a Caucasian woman shooting 100 pictures of an Asian child? Why, her parents must have hired me to, um, PROFESSIONALLY PHOTOGRAPH HER.
The kids file in for the recital.....
and I'm trying to get the video ready and also still photograph every second of this momentous occasion, and I'm running over to her chair, adroitly dodging young artists setting up their instruments to snap more pictures. I majored in Journalism, you know, and I was taught to get the shot no matter what. Get the shot. GET THE SHOT. Who cares if you look like a multitasking monkey on crack.
......."professional photographer"....
My mom was seated in her chair and started to hear the murmurs. It was too much for her.
"She's not a professional photographer. She's an ATTORNEY."
My fan club refused to believe.
".....professional photographer."
Mom turned around again.
"She's also a PROFESSOR."
"......professional photographer"....
Mom turned around again.
"She's an ATTORNEY and she just WON A BIG CASE!"
Finally I turned around to my fan club (before Mom informed them of my upcoming nomination to the United States Supreme Court) and said, "Nope, I'm NOT a professional, BUT I'LL BE DELIGHTED TO SHOOT ALL OF Y'ALL FOR FREE AFTER THE RECITAL." Um, by the way, I mean with a camera.
And I did!!!!











10 comments:
Hee hee! Great story, you professional, you! Get the shot! Yes, I am very familiar with the obsession...
Sooo, how was the recital? :)
Love it...hey, maybe next year YOU will be the one they are all writing checks too! She looks beautiful!
Tee hee. Only a true Southern woman would pluralize "y'all by saying, "All y'all." ;)
Love the blog and your beautiful daughters. I love reading an adult adoptee's perspective on adoption, but pros and cons.
Teresa
See, now if you had charged them you could have said you were a "Professional Photographer".
No one would ever think that of me with the camera I have.
Our oldest son did Suzuki violin for 12 years (we dragged our 2nd son through it for 2). I still remember how proud we were watching each of them play Twinkle Twinkle at their first recitals.
Congratulations to Madeleine on her big day!
"multitasking monkey on crack" *snort* Great pics! (and congrats on your big case - I heard about it from your mom :) ).
How funny, especially, um, coming after your last post. "Shoot all y'all" indeed.
Great photos -- looks like lots of fun. Go mom!
I will say as a former Suzuki kid... what's with the string tied around her violin? That's new to me. ^_^
After this and Disney World, you might consider a second career! Madeleine looks so good with her violin.
People are funny (and not so funny). Love the photos and the all y'all!
Oh that's fabulous. So, when you're on the supreme court will you still be taking pictures at recitals? :)
Post a Comment