
So. It was a pretty good vacation.
You cannot possibly fathom the meaningfulness of these words until you know the Beach Curse that afflicts me.
Something gruesome always happens when I go to the beach.
I first became aware of this loathesome curse at the tender age of 8 when my 5 year old sister walked under a windmill at Putt-Putt golf and was almost decapitated. Actually, when I look at the inheritance we'll be receiving one of these days, that could have possibly been quite a break for me. But she recovered, and eventually so did I. Although I did pitch quite a temper tantrum when I learned that I could not finish the course.
At the age of 13 I sustained first degree burns after sunbathing. I have not sunbathed to this day, which possibly accounts for my porcelain skin. So that turned out to be sort of a good deal after all.
Then things really started to heat up. I ignored the curse and actually moved to the beach when I was a young lawyer. I moved down there very much in love with another lawyer and we were going to have a wonderful life together, well, until two years later when he ran off with his secretary.
We lived in an oceanfront apartment which is now resting at the bottom of the ocean along with the Titanic after Hurricane Hugo hit in 1989.
But I gamely persisted in my insane obsession with the beach. I did move away after two more years of fruitless searching for a single straight man who didn't want to wear my underwear. People always told me how awesome it must be to live at the beach and my standard comeback was this:
"Well, if you want to have a beautiful 4 hour relationship/f**k a married golfer from Wisconsin, yeah, it's heaven."
So I finally found Mr. Right and in 1996 we vacationed there. While wandering romantically along the beach contemplating the Meaning Of Life, I ran a fish hook in my big toe.
"Please don't scream so loud as I inject a needle filled with Novacaine into your big toe," the nurse gently told me. "You're disturbing the other patients."
1997 was the best year of all. My father died during our week at the beach. Massive, instantaneous heart attack.
Ok, so that put me off of the beach for 2 years. Then I decided the curse had possibly run out. Just in case we went to a different beach and Roger developed a severe infection in a tooth that necessitated $2000 of root canal work.
I won't even mention the digestive disturbances that result when this pure and holy vegetarian attempts to eat greasy seafood.
So why do I keep going back? Because I farking love the place. I keep thinking that this is just a ridiculous thing, that curses aren't real, that it's just co-in-ki-dink...
I could not resist the siren lure of the waves to end 2005 and off we went. I decided not to answer the phone if I saw either family had called. After all, I reasoned, if someone else dies they'll still be dead after I get my fill of surf and turf.
The phone rang the second day we were there. Meredith snatched it up. My heart sank to my toes when I heard her say "Hi, Grandma!" to my mother in law.
After a long phone conversation, my husband said goodbye and he hoped that Dad would be better soon. I grabbed the counter for support and inquired what had happened.
"Dad went to a basketball game," my husband explained. He slipped, fell, sliced open his head, was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, and has twelve stitches."
I shrugged.
"If our parents don't know enough to lock themselves in a closet by now when I go near the ocean," I explained, "I cannot be held responsible."










8 comments:
I was going to invite you to accompany me to Aruba this summer, but you can forget that NOW!
Hilarious...missed hearing from ya.
Oh my...By the way, I love the google ads related to this post: Myrtle Beach Golf..Root Canal Cost..Root Canal Dentistry..Tooth Root Canal..HAHAHAHAHA..so appropriate for your beach disaster!
The memories spill back....
Seein's how we went to Myrtle Beach about 5 times a summer, we had our share of Myrtle Beach disasters. I remember when my mother got bitten by an ant or something at the edge of the ocean. We all wanted her to shut up about it, until her foot swelled up like a volley ball. Showed us, huh? That was before the days of urgent care. What on earth did we do before urgent care?
Last time I went, my son was 18 months old. He puked for almost a week. I was so glad for the condo's W/D and the nearby Wal-Mart to buy new sheets and clothes and detergent. We were so sleep deprived that we didn't think to take him to the hospital. He didn't require a stay once we went, but I learned from that point on, butt plugs are always necessary when he gets the pukes. Myrtle Beeach = suppositories to me now.
Then there was that time I was on at the Pavillion, on the beach, underaged, drinking beer, when I saw the cop running toward us... My boyfriend ran fastest, I was next, and the dork we were with got arrested - on a freakin' church retreat! They told him, "We saw your girlfriend running away," I later learned. Those blamed white pants, I'd sewn them myself. Humph. Those cops really were mistaken. I'd never date a dork like him.
Ahhh, Myrtle Beach. In 1980, at HS graduation during Beach Week, we saw this stupid, self important band riding in a convertible in the lame parade. Who could they be? Alabama? Who??
My God! For me it's Thanksgiving; for you, the beach. I am well nigh shocked that you still have the courage to go back again and again. Glad there were only twelve stiches this time.
I'd be happy to consider a beautiful *forty* year relationship with a *single* Wisconsin man if I ever find myself single again God Forbid.
But he'd have to move down here!!
It will be 65 degrees tomorrow.
Mark Twain:
''you use plain, simple language, short words and brief sentences. That is the way to write English - it is the modern way and the best way. Stick to it; don't let fluff and flowers and verbosity creep in. When you catch an adjective, kill it. No, I don't mean utterly, but kill most of them - then the rest will be valuable. They weaken when they are close together. They give strength when they are wide apart. An adjective habit, or a wordy, diffuse, flowery habit, once fastened upon a person, is as hard to get rid of as any other vice.''
keep blogging!
Find A Dentist Clarksville
You forgot that you once ran a nail all the way through your foot on a trip to Cape Hatteras - remember?
Post a Comment