Recently the topic of teaching gratitude to our kids came up on an email list I frequent.Enlightened, caring, decent parents wrote eloquent, thoughtful posts about the topic, which of course made me feel inadequate--my parental default mode.
I believe in doing it the old fashioned way-honoring the sacred tradition promulgated by my spirit forebearers, or something like that.
I believe in guilt trips. (These days, they're cheaper than real car trips)
It's fun because it's a family participation routine.
Me Saturday morning: (cheerfully) Into the car, kids. You're getting haircuts.
Kids: (Expecting Present Voice) And then what are we doing?
Me: Well, then we're going to the mall so I can buy you hundreds of presents.
Kids: (not really believing, but hoping) Really?
Me: (irritably) No, we're going to the grocery store! You don't get a present every day for just....
Kids: Breathing!!
Me: And lots of kids....
Kids: (chorus) Would love to get to go to the grocery store!
Me: Because lots of kids....
Kids (chorus) Don't even have enough to eat!
Me: And lots of kids....
Kids: (chorus) WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ALL OUR TOYS!!!
Me: Very good. Now go back to tormenting each other so I can listen to the radio.
Kids: (chorus) Can we have a special treat when we go to the grocery store?
I give up.










1 comment:
You don't pull the "eat everything on your plate because the starving kids in China would love to have it" routine do you?
I always volunteered that I'd be happy to send it to them.
Post a Comment