Monday, June 27, 2005

You're Not My Real Mother!

Time: 2010

Me to daughter: Honey, you can't go to the mall wearing a skirt the size of a washcloth.
Madeleine (weeping hysterically) I HATE YOU! YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOTHER!
Me: Calmly sips martini, puffs on cigarette.

1. Thank God for that! Look--no stretch marks!
2. No, but there's some real money in my estate that you might inherit one day if you're nice to me.
3. I'm so sorry that you didn't inherit my poor vision, large buck teeth, greasy hair, whale-like hips, and poor hearing.

I'm mulling over the appropriate response.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, you are mean mom personified. Personally, I get "no one around here loves me!" a couple of times per week. I think the last time was because we wouldn't buy Jack his own laptop. He NEEDS a laptop because he is going to be designing his own computer games in a few years.

But I told him he was going to have to share the family computer -- and only when his dad and I weren't busy surfing for porn.

Miss Cellania said...

You may have just found your calling in life. This stuff is good! I will have to add you to my growing list of "check-daily" blogs.

Kathy of the HavinsNest said...

I've said it before and I will say it again. I love reading your writing.

As one who was on the email list that got China adoption updates with Meredith let me say: What the world needs is more mean moms, keep it up.

Unknown said...

All mother's of teenagers and soon to be teenagers are MEAN. It's a job requirment. Your child will hate you for about 4 years (mine moved out and wouldn't speak to me for 18 months). They will get over it and so will you, but teenage girls are not fun. Give me the terrible twos anyday.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, you know, just as long as you don't write anything about turkey basters. You don't want to OFFEND anyone. Heh.

Kristin said...

My impossible 8-year-old son just grunts and turns into Anakin Skywalker...I keep expecting him to turn into Darth Vader.
You seemed to have handled it well...she's lucky to have you as Mom.
(Hi, I just found you thru Chez Miscarriage...wanted to say hi!)

Dr Sarah said...

I'm definitely voting for 3. Cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

v funny!!

karen/naked ovary

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog.

I think I am developing a MAJOR blog crush on you.

Thanks for the laugh!
Journeywoman

Anonymous said...

Oh Sugar. (Y'all don't say real swear words in The Carolinas do you?) Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day avoiding work and reading your blog.

Old Lady said...

Choices, choices .... Oh, my .... Go for #3.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs