First of all, I hold some rather strong opinions about things. Sadly enough, they are not popular opinions. I am afraid that I will offend somebody.
I am a Southerner and we're trained from birth not to offend.
But I did think of a topic to talk about...
Transracial Abduction.
Yes, my precious family is the subject of intense hatred and disdain by a certain small, but vocal minority. The people who feel that I, rich white privileged beyotch, "kidnapped" (and I'm not kidding) some cute lil ol Asian kids, yanking them unceremoniously away from their sacred "culture", and therefore doomed them to a life of pain and heartache.
Smooch my heinie.
First of all, the sacred "culture" that I took them away from had resulted in them being placed in an orphanage. Penniless. Probably they wouldn't have been able to even attend school because school costs money in China. Apparently college is only for the highest elite, as only 5% of Chinese attend college.
Right away I've committed another cardinal sin among the slavering idiots of adoption pc--I've maligned their culture. Gasp! Faint!
Well, to that I say, I am an American and I love it, but frankly there are parts of our culture that I could definitely do without forever. Our hideous history of slavery, for instance. I don't think that's made me into a schizophrenic, but my doctor might disagree.
I see nothing wrong with exposing my children to the incredible culture and beauty of China while at the same time condemming the horrible conditions that my children would have faced had they grown up there.
Second of all, I
Well, it's like this. A woman that I admire greatly, Lisa McClure, put it like this--her child has an American name, and a Chinese name. My kids will always have their Chinese name. If they want to use it or change their name as adults, great. Even as a teenager I'll be happy to acquiesce should I see evidence of a serious, thoughtful decision.
But you know what? I named my kids after their ancestors. Their great grandmother, grandmother, and mother.
I told Madeleine the other day that her middle name, Margaret, was the same as all her ancestors and she just beamed from ear to ear.
Please shoot me now all transracial abductee fanatics out there.
Thirdly, I must confess a secret that has been a stain on my soul for a long time.
I loathed and despised and hated the food that we were served in China with every fiber of my being.
And if you are reading this and think, "Who gives a flying fig what Lorrie thinks of Chinese food?" then you have never read a board devoted to Chinese adoption!!










5 comments:
so, are you now, or have you ever been a member of i-a-t!!??
Hey you wild thing, do you like Chinese food back here in the states? If not, why, oh why would/should you like it in China? You heathen!
Gawd, I was on IAT for like three days and practically set my computer on fire I was so frustrated. Eu Min or some such name like that got aholt of me and ripped me a new one.
ROFL!!!! I spent 2 weeks living on congee and granola bars in China. And both Jane Brown and Eun Mi ripped me a new one, too. I lasted a week on IAT, then I started having homicidal thoughts, so unsubbed.
Something tells me you are not a member of the playgroup my son is in here in Raliegh, which is made up almost entirely of little girls from China (my husband is Chinese American--it's our effort to expose him to the culture. Or something like that. I really have no idea.). Which is too bad. I wish you were.
Post a Comment