
Go Gamecocks!

A Man And His Dog Heal Quickly While They Share Coffee And Bananas

Roger had minor wrist surgery on November 2, 2011, which explains my absence. Between donning the special nurse's uniform Roger bought for me (Are they SUPPOSED to have cutouts?) , driving the children around everywhere (Please give me a taxi meter for Christmas, bill to be presented when they earn first paycheck. Notice I optimistically say "when" not "if").....I've been very busy.
But he is doing great. Went back to work on Thursday. The doctor added extra cartilage, scraped out dozens of small bone spurs, and shored up sagging (cough-I swear that was the word used) tendons. He already felt better in the recovery room. Said the shooting pains in his arm had disappeared.
Once again, I honestly do not know how he managed to somehow stumble through 38 years without me. I looked at the insurance and decided it would be a good time to do it as our bills have been high this year. I set the appointment and informed him. He sat back casually and said, "I'm glad you did that. Y'know, I've been having awful shooting pains up my entire arm."
Dude.
If one ounce of my pain could be cured by surgery I'd be slicing myself open with a Veg-O-Matic.
So off we went, and I tried to inject levity into the proceedings. It was easy. Hey, it wasn't ME getting sliced and diced.
The nurse started to ask the ritual questions and the anesthesiologist dropped in for a chat. She turned to me and said, "Could you help out?" Sure.
"What religion is he?"
"Satanism....I'll be sacrificing a goat during the operation in the parking lot. Well, except maybe across the street since you have the no smoking signs up..."
.........
"Oh I'm just kidding!"
"You know," she laughed, "I seriously have always wondered what I would say if someone ever meant that."
The anesthesiologist got him prepped and off he went on the cart. I leaned over to kiss him and addressed the group waiting.
"Please don't worry too much. I've got lots of life insurance on him (then I broke up laughing), so it's kind of a win-win."
(yes. I swear I said all of this).
So he was carried out on a wave of laughter, which was more difficult to manage than a stretcher.
He's doing fine, and I'm so relieved to have this over with. He was told it was a'comin two years ago, but put it off. I just believe a man should have as much dexterity in his hands as possible. To do household chores and all.










No comments:
Post a Comment