September, 1962-Lorrie and CarolineSo we're adopted-ok, big deal
Lotta people tellin' us what we oughta feel
Why doncha keep your big mouth shut
And quit talkin' oucha butt
Everybody sayin' we're all messed in the head
I guess you'd rather us be dead
October, 1966-Lorrie and Caroline
Some days I'm sad, some days happyI know this is rap but I'm gonna get sappy
Love my family so, so much
Always there with their lovin' touch
Father Knows Best, Donna Reed Show
My childhood was like that doncha know
Easter, 1985
So now we got two kids of our own
God looked down and made a match
One kid's my clone I coulda hatched
Madeleine Margaret Chen
They're so sweet don't know how to be bad
Meredith Grace Li-Pei
I respect your feelings I swear it's true
Once I felt exactly like you...
but I got something I need to say
To the lady who shoots the IVF
I hope those drugs don't cause your death *
You just gotta have onna "your own"
You don't have the bling, just get a loan.

You dismiss adoption as an elective
They "need a good home" but you're scared they're defective
Different color, different eyes don't groove
Scared your family might not approve
Funny thing 'bout that perfect kid, boo
You could give birth to one with problems too
So you say why'd you go to China

We tried and I bet you'll never guess
Biracial? AA? We said YES!
The Man looked at us and said HECK NO
So that's why we had to go
Half the way around the world
To get our gorgeous fabulous girls...
Don't wanna be hatin' on people who employ
another path--I wish you all joy
Just remember if you have to have "your own"
One day you might be all alone.
*Gilda Radner, Liz Tilberis, me-fertility treatment, OC. In my case, fertility treatment has made me into a semi invalid due to a long and complicated serious of painful and expensive problems. A link? I believe so. copyright Lorrie, all rights reserved
adoption
adoption + international
china + adoption
infertility










No comments:
Post a Comment