Friday, September 07, 2007

Maximum Ride

This is a blog review for Mother Talk. I asked to review a copy of James Patterson's new book Maximum Ride 3: Saving The World And Other Extreme Sports.

I'm prejudiced 'cause I'm a big James Patterson fan. I love, love, love his Alex Cross and Woman's Murder Club series. For the past few years he's put out a number of books about bird children--genetic experiments by mad scientists. The bird children are mostly normal but can fly and have a lot of bird DNA in their bones/wings.

This is the 3rd book in a series, and I have read the other books also.

The book is narrated by the Head Bird Chick, Max. Max is delightfully sarcastic and teenagers ought to be able to relate to that.

Good points: Well, it certainly is filled with action. Not a dull moment. Max and her cohorts are constantly escaping the evil scientists out to destroy them, devising many ingenious ways to fly the coop, so to speak. I liked the way that Patterson put a blogspot.com in the book. One of the birds starts his own blog to alert the kids of the world of this evil.

Bad points: It lacks the subtle plotlines and gradual character development I'd like to see. It's just chase scene, escape, chase scene, escape, etc. etc. etc.

I think that teens would enjoy it, for what that's worth. One could compare Harry Potter to a long, engrossing train ride and this book to a quick whirl on a roller coaster. Both enjoyable, depending on what mood you are in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He definitely sticks with the chase-escape-repeat motif, but he's nothing if not consistent!

bbmomof2boys said...

James Patterson rocks! I really enjoy his books. I've read the first few books from this series and I didn't realize the 3rd was out. I'm off to the book store!!

email said...

I like Patterson's Alex Cross and Women's Murder Club as well. I've read the first two of this series, and I'm looking forward to the third installment. I have to wait for paperback, though, because I am cheap, yet have this need to own the books of the authors I like.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs