Saturday, August 11, 2007

Requiem For An Air Conditioner

So, of course it's been like 195 degrees here in Columbia, South Carolina. Heat records were broken--on Wednesday it was 106 degrees, breaking the record set in 1902 I think. And we had a death in the family last night. A death of an old, dear friend, who has sustained and nurtured us through this trying week.

Won't you join me in a prayer for the dearly departed AIR CONDITIONER who gave up the ghost last night at 10:30 PM. Roger tinkered with the ol' girl for an hour or so but it was useless, so we took her off life support and let her go to her eternal reward.

At 10:31 PM I was on the phone to a bunch of crooks who claimed that they didn't charge no extra money for a weekend call and would respond promptly to our cry of distress. HA! We called them and was told that Jason Johnson would be out just as soon as he finished the job he was on and another job. Well, Jason never showed up. Reminded me of my dating days.

We called another company this morning and are now looking at $5700.00 for another unit. (shrug) We knew it was only a matter of time. Our old unit was over 20 years old, but it was working so well that we decided to ride her into the ground. Our new company has promised to bring over a window AC today to "tide us over" until our new one arrives. The thing that I'm kicking myself about is that we had two window units until a few years ago, when I cleaned out the garage.

We didn't have much a/c as a child, and happily, being hypothyroid means that I have a high tolerance to heat. I guess we'll have to go over to the inlaws tonight, which means that I have to give up a water bed, unlimited access to cigarettes on the back porch, the pool, our plasma tv, 4 computers, 12 Dunkin' Donuts in the fridge, swearing, insulting my children, lasciviously fondling my husband, reading in peace, and all semblance of sanity. Hmm, perhaps cold showers hourly at our house might be a better solution.

Would you do me a favor? Go hug your air conditioner for me. Tell her that you love her. For the shifting sands do poureth through the hourglass, and you never know how much more time you will have together.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oy, you scare me. I too live in SC, and my husband and I have been laying low, talking in whispers around the a/c unit, hoping that it doesn't give up.

Anonymous said...

Why is it that it always gives up the ghost during the middle of the longest heat spell of the summer? Oh, and always on the weekend?

My condolences.

Kim said...

RIP!!

(My air conditioner thanked me for the hug :) )

Cheers,
Kim Y
LID 3/29/07 for Megan Jean

Ladybug Kreations
lbkreations.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great work.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs