from the internet:
Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland fails to produce enough thyroid hormone.
The thyroid gland, located in the front of the neck just below the larynx, secretes hormones that control metabolism.
Hypothyroidism, or underactivity of the thyroid gland, may cause a variety of symptoms and may affect all body functions. The body's normal rate of functioning slows, causing mental and physical sluggishness.
I have had all these symptoms, in varying degrees, for YEARS.
Weakness
Fatigue
Cold intolerance
Constipation
Weight gain (unintentional) (like weight gain is ever intentional? pardon me while I try to control my hysterical laughter)
Depression
Joint or muscle pain
Thin, brittle fingernails
Thin and brittle hair
Paleness
Puffy face, hands and feet
Decreased taste and smell
Thinning of eyebrows
Overall swelling
Muscle spasms (cramps)
Muscle pain
Muscle atrophy
Uncoordinated movement
Joint stiffness
Dry hair
Hair loss
Drowsiness
Appetite loss
It was my damn thyroid.
I'm taking Synthroid, although the internet is plastered with information about something called Armour which is supposed to be totally like awesome. Who knows? All I know is that after three days of Synthroid I'm starting to feel like a functioning human being again.
It hardly needs to be said that I'm appreciative of all the support and that hopefully you can look forward to a healthy (ha! I KILL MYSELF) dose of the old Clueless soon.











15 comments:
I believe Armour thyroid is more natural vs Synthroid is synthetic. My mom has been on Armour thyroid for hypothyroidism since she was 24. She is now 74. What you need to watch out for with a thyroid problem is the connection with osteoporosis. Even though Mom has been taking the natural thyroid for 50 years she has very bad osteoporosis and has already had a compression fracture of the spine this past fall and needed a walker.
Don't mean to make you worry more. Just sharing what I've seen in my own family.
Glad you are feeling a bit better.
I've been on Synthroid for 8 years. On my last vacation, for some reason, I kept forgetting to take it every day, and I wondered why I felt like crap!
I've never heard of Armour ... oh well, the synthetic stuff seems to work for me, I'm not going to mess with it.
I am so glad they found out what was causing all your issues! (What took them so long?) Yay for modern medicine!
Big "phew!" A friend was plagued with hypothyroid and its awful symptoms, but it turned out to be quite manageable. Wishing the same for you. Glad you're seeing some results already, and hope they continue...
Congratulations on feeling better! Just wish they'd figured that one out for you years ago. My mother have her thyroid completely removed several years ago, and has done just fine on replacement hormones ever since.
I am so glad you are feeling better. A friend gained 30 pounds in 3 months and it took her over a year to get a dr to treat her for hypothyroidism. She is much better now and has lost the weight since going on hormones. I guess sometimes it doesn't show up as low enough scores on the blood tests. Glad they are treating you and you are getting good results also
Yay Synthroid! Here's to more days of feeling like a functioning human being.
Wow, I have most of those symptoms, too! I'm so glad the cause of your problems was finally identified. By the way, I never heard of guaifensein protocol, but will look into it. Thanks for the tip! P.S. Your daughters are beautiful!
Glad to know all is getting better for you.
My Mom and sister, both are on some thyroid medicine - not sure what, but they keep telling me to get mine checked... after reading your post, I think I will!
Nothing like taking someone else's advice over your own mother's!
Alyson
LID 01/27/06
Saddened as I was to hear about your decline, I am glad to hear that you've hit on something that helps.
Hope you're feeling MUCH better soon.
synthroid works great for some, and some do better on armour. you try one, and if it doens't work well, you switch to the other. Simple as that. I have put people on both, and it is a crapshoot as far as which will work for someone.
Once it's good, though, don't rock the boat by thinking the other might be more natural and thus better. If the synthroid is working, do not fuck with it.
Hope to see you back in top clueless form soon soon soon!
I have been hypothyroid for, hum, 20 years or about there.
Marla
It is always nice to have an answer! Glad to know you are feeling better.
Beverly
Good grief, what took them so long? I do think hypothyroid is often overlooked. I hope this helps resolve a lot of the symptoms that have been troubling you.
I have been on desiccated porcine thyroid for 4 years and it is very effective to me.
Post a Comment