I had already decided that Madeleine would be placed on a diet of ONE book/toy order per month. Sister Carrie had a great idea about limiting the orders to books only, but...she had already picked out a Spy Watch and I didn't have the heart to say no, BUT we compromised that for each toy she orders, she must order a book and READ it. And there will be a pop quiz.
She picked out "Ribsy" by Beverly Cleary and seemed absolutely amazed that I had actually read it when I was a child, even though I left out the part where I read it after it had been inscribed on a scroll by monks using a quill pen.
I plan to reread many juvenile books alongside my daughters. Today, we made a trip to the library and I reread All-Of-A-Kind Family, All-Of-A-Kind Family Uptown, and Ella of All-Of-A-Kind Family. Since I love juvenile literature, this is not a terrible hardship for me.
The girls and I now go back to my bed after homework is finished and we all lie around reading our respective books together until bedtime. I must say, this is much more fun than reading Go Dog Go! for the seventy eleventh billion time outloud.










7 comments:
Ooh! When they get a little bit older (11 or so) read some Robin McKinley. Start with Beauty. You will lurve!
I loved the All-of-a-Kind Family books, too. Have you read the Melendy family books? The Saturdays, Four Storey Mistake, And Then There were Five - by Elizabeth Enright. I read them about the same time as the A-o-f-K Family books.
Reading is something that I already do with Riley but can not WAIT till she's able to really get into it with me and read along/discuss. I just hope she loves to read as much as I do- but maybe at the pace her dad does since I'm pretty fast. Books are an expensive habit if you don't utilize the library!
Wow, I can't wait for her to bring home her fist Troll Book Club or Scholastic form!
Well HERE you are! My goodness the girls have gotten so big. Thanks for the well wishes about the house/divorce. It's going to be an adventure, but as another friend pointed out, in most ways I have been a single mother for a long time now anyhow.
Delighted to catch up with you! ~LA
I loved the All of a Kind Family books. I saved them all. When I had my first niece (now 24) I couldn't wait to read those to her. She thought they were boring. Sigh. I haven't tried them with my kids yet.
I love reading, and love juvenile fiction, so I am excited at the prospect of reading together that way. With my kid at age 4 it is a while away, but I am seeing very exciting pre-reading behavior (like where she guesses at the story to come, even on books she's never seen before) so I am ever hopeful that I will be doing this when she is as grown-up and mature as your girls.
I am jealous of the Scholastic orders. I can't wait.... but I'm glad to have the tip on how not to join every assinine club they offer.
OMG! I LOVE All-of-a-kind-of-a-family!
And everything else that was mentioned!
I've already started buying books for my kids and have a very difficult time restraining myself when I'm in a bookstore.
Gah. And the Scholastic order! Fun times. I couldn't *believe* it when *I* was the teacher one year and got to ORDER THE BOOKS. Wow. So odd.
Thanks for a post that brought back good memories. Love your blog.
Post a Comment