
My mama loves me,
She loves me,
Yeah she loves me like a rock.
Monday night I got a call from my mom. Could she drop by? Why yes, she could.
But why? It was a rainy night. Mom hates to drive in the rain, or at night.
Well in she comes, lookin' so fine in her purple raincoat and matching hat. 105 lbs worth of pure sass.
She had baked me a birthday cake from scratch. With scratch fudge icing.
I thought briefly about taking a picture of it before Madeleine and I began attacking it like starved wolves. (Meredith hates desserts and Roger was coaching).
You can say what you want about the Primal Wound theory, and I don't mean to be disrespectful....
Wait. Yes I do.
Nanny nanny boo boo
The Primal Wound theory is poo poo.
But sometimes, like a rainy night in February, when your adopted mom bakes you a scratch cake and drives through a rainy night to deliver it, all of the expert's dire pronoucements about the unending pain of adoption and the severed wounds of the child brutally yanked away from her birth mother's loving arms and all that simply disappear in the rush of love, and sugar, and you look to the sky and raise your crumb crusted hands and say, Thank You to whoever is up there for giving me the best mom in the universe.










11 comments:
That's awesome. Yep, she really , really loves you!
Your Mom rocks! Thank you for this post - it was awesome!
You made me cry.
Edie
Me too....thanks. Happy Birthday!
Hey, Happy Birthday, you! Obviously your night rocked -- I hope your day was great, too.
Good for your mama!!
aaaaw, now I'm all misty.
I love that your mom did this, and I really love that you fully appreciated it. You are perfect for each other.
Love and sugar and fudge frosting. What more could a girl ask for?
Happy birthday and many many returns (lots more cake, too)
Happy Birthday.
Wishing you'd post the recipe for fudge frosting.
Lovely...just lovely! What a great mom. I'm so happy to hear an adoption story gone well.
RUTH'S ROWDY ICING
1 stick full fat butter (NO SUBSTITUTES)
2 cups sugar
1 small can evaporated milk
Bring to boil Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add one teaspoon vanilla and 1 6oz package of semi sweet chocolate morsels. Stir till melted. Frost cold cake asap.
oh how wonderful! Moms are just the greatest! I just started reading (from Shannon's site) and am loving the letter from your dad, and your mom's cake and the adoption notice. Chokes me up too!
I agree, the primal wound
is poo poo, too!
Post a Comment