Thursday, September 29, 2005

Child Assaulted By Father's Beer: Film At 11


Meredith (on the right) just turned 5 yesterday. However, she is wise beyond her years. This child is...well....if you're a fan of Victorian literature, they always had a "perfect" child in the story to serve as a "moral" for all the imperfect cretins reading the story. This is Meredith.

Sometimes I feel like I'm starring in a movie entitled Raising Jesus--this kid is disgustingly cheerful, sensible, and just all around a good sport. Believe me, YOU ARE LOOKING AT A FUTURE CAMPER OF THE YEAR here. (See Confessions of A Sniveling Wimp for my shameful story)

How sensible is this kid? I can't stand how sensible she is. Ok, see, her dad just started his new career this year as a teacher in training-cum-study hall monitor-cum-football-coach after taking early retirement from his old job, and he's getting back late from work some nights.

This kid lies down and takes a nap on her own initiative so she can stay up and see her Daddy when he gets home.

Nobody suggested that she do so.

She figured it out on her own. I had no idea what was going on--thought that the first time was just a fluke. Then I realized what was going on.

So anyway, last week Roger told her that he'd be late because it was his first away game. She cheerfully (did I mention she is always irritatingly CHEERFUL?) lay down for a nap at about 8:30, and by 10:30 was tossing and turning restlessly. Finally at 11:00 Roger came in. I put my lips next to her ear and said those two magic words-Daddy's Home--and she jumped out of bed and rocketed down the hall at warp speed happily screaming "DADDDDDYYYY"...and then all of a sudden I hear "WHAM!" and bawling.

You see, the poor child had run down the entire length of a 2000 sq. foot ranch house so fast that Roger hadn't even been able to reach the light switch. He was carrying a bag of beer and chips and she ran straight into it.

That'll teach the little bugger a lesson!! Maybe she'll start acting like the rest of us in this family--no cheer, and darned little common sense.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? She lay down for a nap at 8:30...at NIGHT? I'm confused. What time does she usually go to bed?

Jane

carolinagirl79 said...

Good question Jane! The kids attend a private school and don't have to be there until 8:30 AM. It is only 10 minutes away from our house, so we usually don't wake up until 8:00 or so.

They don't usually go to sleep before 10:00. And that is after being dosed with melatonin.

Before we adopted Meredith, Madeleine would routinely stay up with us-we are both night owls-until 1:00 AM and sleep until 9 or 10 on weekends. Once she slept until 12:30 PM on a Sunday. And this was when she was less than 2 years old.

Anonymous said...

I grew up with a sister like that. Fortunately, when she was in her 20s, she started becoming slightly cynical. She'll never be a match for me, what with that uber-upbeat nature, but it's nice to know that they CAN grow out of it.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs