Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day, Daddy!!








Dear Daddy, Happy Father's Day. It's hard to believe that you've been gone now for over ten years. You slipped off into eternity on August 1, 1997. I feel you sometimes close to me. I wish my girls could have known you. How they would have loved you! How I would love to see the crinkle in your eyes when they did something cute. How I would have loved to see them sitting in your lap as you patiently explained something to them.
************************
************************
Think of Bob Newhart, and you have my dad. Painfully shy and quiet, but one or two little words slipped in between the constant, raucous conversation of three loud females and you'd laugh so hard tears would come to your eyes. A talented writer--a man of matchless integrity and honor--a brilliant scholar-a bachelor's, two masters, and a PhD-My Daddy.
********************************
*******************************
Daddy, I once believed you could do anything. I like to think that you've broken through the steel wall of death and hang around me sometimes.
********************************
********************************
"Don't smoke in my truck!" I feel you saying. Not that helpful, okay? Yes, we now have your 1989 Nissan truck. I will keep it on the road as long as I live if possible. Yeah, a former two packer a day who quit FOR ME (I supposedly cried as a tiny child when he smoked around me) I know you hated cigarettes. A reformed smoker is always the worst, right? I know you'd crinkle your eyes into a little grin and agree with me.
***************************
***************************
Mom is slipping further into dementia. She now thinks that you are still alive. While I was driving her home from the doctor the other day, she casually asked why Grady had to leave. "Did he have to get back to the office?" "Yeah," I casually replied. "Yeah, he wanted to stay till the end of the appointment, but he had to get back to the office." And then I wiped my eyes.
*****************************
*****************************

Please come and get Mom. Pretty, pretty please. She misses you so. Prove to me that you can do anything. Just one last favor, Daddy!! Indulge the six year old in me who believed that you could leap tall buildings and rescue fair maidens in distress.
****************************
****************************
Tell you what. I won't smoke in your truck. I promise pinky-swear.

No comments:

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs