The INS is getting ready to jack the price of a Certificate of Citizenship up to $460.00 from $215.00. Now if you have never adopted internationally, just click away right now. If you have adopted after 2004, you were lucky enough to have one sent to you in the mail by the ever obliging and highly efficient (sarcasm) INS. However, if you don't have one for your IA child, here is your last chance to do it at the lower rate.
I know I'd rather send my husband for an evening of watered down drinks and lap dances with sleazy strippers (at least somebody would be happy) than send one more dollar to the INS but your kid needs a COC. No, a US passport is not enough. The article I linked to contains many horrific scenarios, like what if your kid gets arrested and faces deportation? Nobody likes to think of stuff like that, but heck, it has happened to others. Do it For The Kid. What's an extra two hundred dollars or so? Remember back when thousands of dollars flew through your eager hands while you happily anticipated a cuddly bundle of joy? I do. The first cuddly bundle of joy just got her glasses today and I'm working on a glasses post. Such are the thrills around here. Also, I'm taking Armour Thyroid now and I like it much better than Synthroid.
Now here is some help for you from Legal-Eaze:
Patti has just updated her website to include a sample copy of the N600 - Application for Certificate of Citizenship. Now, along with being able to download a kit to file for the COC, you can also see a sample completed form. It should make things much easier to complete and send in. Just go to http://www.legal-eaze.com/ and click on "Post Adoption Services". Scroll down to "Certificate of Citizenship".
Remember the forms must be postmarked by no later than July 29, 2007 in order to be accepted with the $215 application fee. Applications postmarked July 30 or later will be charged $460.











6 comments:
Of course the buried Armour comment caught my attention. Elaborate or email. I will hold your COC'd children hostage, courtesy of Synthroid.
We finally got our dd's CofC in May after I filed for it last July-more than three years after we came home.
Glad to hear the Armour thyroid is helping. My mom has been on it for 50+ years. Just keep having your doctor check for osteoporosis.
BTW-you are an old timer calling them INS. Dontcha know they switched to BCIS-CIS-USCIS (It's all BS!)?
Oh crap, I still have to do this for my youngest. Just the thought of paying another $21 for this just makes my skin crawl, but it's better than paying the new rate.
Thanks Lorrie for the heads up on this. And thank you too CIS... the checks in the mail.
Thanks for posting this, Lorrie. I started the paperwork, got it almost filled out and set it aside. Now I'll make sure to get this out before the price goes up.
Dang, why do I have to pay the INS to do their job? My kid is legally an American citizen. The court knows it, the passport office knows it, the Social Security Administration knows it, but the INS or BCI or whatever has no clue. Because they don't get a clue without a payoff.
Well, check this. We got them for our girls in their Vietnamese names. So we have to have them re-done and we don't get the new birth certificate til august...guess who has to pay 460 damn dollars x2 for the twins, ME. Sucks. Because, if you don't want any funky things happening you have to have the COC in their legal "new" name.
Post a Comment