Thursday, January 11, 2007

is there a doctor in the house?



http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0701/05/pzn.01.html

MARTIN: OK, why? What's the big deal with Chinese children? Enlighten me, please, help me out.
ZAHN: You understand this better than anybody. Why don't we see more Americans adopting black foster children?
MARTIN: That's my point. What's the big deal with Chinese children? Why the infatuation?ZAHN: You think it's something with the color of their skin? Is that what you're driving at?MARTIN: Maybe they think they can adopt a smart kid that is going to grow up to be a doctor? I don't know. They need to realize that's called training, not just inherent, it will happen when they're born. Angel, help me out.
MALDONADO: Absolutely. This is something I've been looking into for a long time. Americans have this love affair with girls from China. There is this belief, this perception, irrational as it might be that if you adopt a little girl from China, she's going to be intelligent, she's going to be more lovable.
MARTIN: Like the porcelain doll.

You know, this exchange tapped into one of my worst fears. Now you might think that my fear is that blowhard know nothings would go on national tv & judge and condemn our decision to add a child to the family through adoption. Naw, that fear doesn't keep me up at night, because you know what Ricky Nelson sang, "can't please everyone, so you've...got to please yourself." And you know, those fools don't pay my bills.

No.

My fear is that my kids won't become doctors.

God knows, God knows, mama tried. I mean, I've burned all of my law books, and whenever we go to Walmart I point out how tiring it must be to stand on your feet ringing up customers all day, and I gave them their great grandfather's stethoscope, and I point out almost daily that I'd be awfully grateful for a 1. plastic surgeon and a 2. geriatric specialist in the family, and then once in awhile I lean over them while they are sleeping and whisper in their ear, "We didn't rescue you so that you could become an artist or a paving contractor."

(sigh)

I hope that I'm not being too subtle. Kids need a firm hand.

18 comments:

Johnny said...

I'll guess you'll just have to settle for a trophy porcelain doll if the doctor thang don't work out.

Anonymous said...

Mine will never sit still long enough to take the MCATS so I think medical school is out for us. Maybe gymnastics. And then she can land a Special K contract. That's my ticket....

Anonymous said...

Doctor? I just want her to pass 4th grade english. Thank God she's good at math, because we're already beyond the point where I can help her.

So, I admit to not reading ALL the adoption paperwork thoroughly... if my kid isn't brilliant, can I get a refund or exchange? Now... where did I put that receipt???

pithydithy said...

Maybe you could replace their books with the Physicians Desk Reference? Although it's pretty heavy...try not to crush them.

Shannon said...

You crack me up! Love this blog.

atomic mama said...

Good luck with that!

Miss Cellania said...

I'm pushing mine towards plumbing. They could make a ton of money, I'd get free service, and maybe the youngest would quite biting her fingernails.

Anonymous said...

As an AA md to be, I think the most effective method to ensure your child grows up to be a doctor is... well read the following stuff I stole from rice daddies and you'll figure it out.

I had really crappy grades by the way, like 3.9999999999999999999999999997 <--------- Ouch! Damn PE

Someone tells you that they heard that there is a gene that makes Asians smart.

It's called beatthelivingshitoutofyouifyougetaB at locus 34.

One should go as far as one can academically and professionally on behalf of one's family.

On behalf of not getting hit with the B+ stick.

One's academic and occupational reputation reflects the family's reputation.

Is that why my own mother calls me Dr. Kim?

I'm sure you can incorporate some of this into M and M's life, its never to late to force your kids to go to med school.
Lin

Unknown said...

Good one. I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Well, You know, it would be totally unfair if China, or even Korea, got all the good doctors. The way I see it all you parents of Chinese geniuses are just insuring that the rest of us get good medical care. For that I thank you.

Anonymous said...

I kept checking here this past week to see when you would write about this. LOVE your take on it-as well as the other comments.

BTW-we have good friends we vacation with every summer-both doctors-he is a cardiologist-she is a GP. When dd was about 2 he told her "Don't become a doctor, but if you do-then become an anaesthesiologist!" Apparently the anaesthesiologists don't even have to be in the OR-they can have others do their work for them. Guess it's all in your perspective!

"Ada" said...

What you need are some of those subliminal message tapes to play while they're sleeping, I bet that would do the trick.

Nikki said...

Wait a second... are you saying that my daughter might NOT be extremely brilliant and make her daddy and me lotsa money some day?

Love your blog -- you are hilarious!

LilySea said...

Asian girls are, of course, genetically destined to become doctors. But I didn't want my kid to be a doctor. I wanted my kid to be a Supreme Court Justice, so I adopted domestically.

Lee said...

Please, please don't let her be a doctor... We've been banking on a USEFUL profession -- ideally plumber!

Dadorama said...

I think psychiatrist is the biggest and best racket around.

DHS

Unknown said...

What I found so completely offensive in the piece is that they were so judgemental of adoptive parents of Chinese children. They actually believed that we adopted them because we thought we were adopting intelligent children. I don't believe that Ms. Maldonado actually interviewed any parents of Chinese children. I have a hard time believing that any one of us would say such a thing!

Unknown said...

Well, we just wanted a pretty and kid who looked kinda white...

Couldn't you just smack the taste right out of Roland's mouth?

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs