Monday, January 22, 2007

Couch Potato

Here I am about 20 years ago on a skiing trip. Well, I guess technically it was a skiing trip. I didn't know how to ski and I didn't have health insurance at the time so I was too chicken to try. I *knew* that I would break my leg and run up $26,778 worth of bills.

I have never liked to move much. Never had to, really. My digestive system has never allowed me the thrill of *comfort* eating, so I've never had any real serious weight problems. No weight problem, no need to exercise vigorously, eh? Yah.

My inlaws are all sports fanatics. I like to stop conversation by nonchalantly mentioning that I have never spent one second of my life playing an organized sport.

Madeleine asked me the other day what did I play as a child. Soccer? Hockey? Basketball?

I told her I played the piano.

I always wanted a glorious, golden, tan, but my freaky skin wouldn't allow it. My nose turns red after five minutes of unprotected sun exposure.

So I have spent most of my life inside reading.

Every time I hear about another wrinkled friend having surgery to correct an "old sports injury" I reach around to pat myself on the back...

And realize that the joints are creaking.

Time to start that fabled "moderate" exercise program that everybody vows to start at this time of year, I guess.

I'm so excited. So, so excited. NOT.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

"Ada" said...

Lawdy, you sound just like me. The first time I told my husband I couldn't help him in the yard because I didn't like to sweat... Well, he wasn't too happy about that. LOL

4D said...

Being tall, I always asked if I played basketball. I said no...I hate basketball and then I would pick up my book and ignore them!

But, we bought the treadmill and I am moving my butt more. Sigh...getting old.

Keep smilin!

Avalon said...

I was kind of the opposite as a kid. ould never get enough of skateboarding and roller-skating and riding my bike for hours on end. We walked everywhere. Now, it would take a stick of dynamite to blast me out of my chair to do that stuff!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Well, I consider it a great success to have lasted as long as you have without the dreaded moderate exercise regimen. I'm a fellow abstainer from movement, so I feel your pain!

Amanda from Fuzzy Pants recommended you to me, and I'll definitely be back!

Anonymous said...

Get an elliptical trainer to use at home (so you don't have to wear sunscreen and get sweaty outdoors) and get books on CD at the library. I highly recommend the Sweet Potato Queens stuff, but that's just me.

I don't do gyms.

Kristin said...

To hell with the tan... you're skin is GORGEOUS!

As for me, well, hello botox and yoga.

Nicole said...

Just got here through another person's blog and am thoroughly enjoying the read. I couldn't resist commenting and saying hi when I saw that you are a lawyer. I am a law student hoping to be a nice lawyer too someday. Interestingly, I have been bugging the Husband about wanting to learn to play the piano.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs