
Jane wrote a post yesterday about her son becoming a manager of the football team and how in her day that was a job reserved for dorks, and it started me thinking about how we bring our childhood along into parenting, for better or for worse.
I had a great childhood. Of course adolescence struck and I changed overnight into the geekiest dork evah, at least in my own mind. Looking back I remember parties, shopping trips, friends, etc...so why? I guess it's the nature of the beast. You remember the bad things about adolescence because it's such a tumultous time.
I have this thing about kiddie parties. They make me nervous. Don't mind attending them, but I've been terrified to throw one for my kids lest nobody show up and it ruins their lives and causes them to spend extra years in therapy.
Two years ago, I thought I had solved the problem. Mad's friend Kara was having a party right about the same time as Mad's 6th birthday. Eureka! We could have a JOINT PARTY and SPLIT EXPENSES!!
"I love organizing parties," said Karen, Kara's mother. "Why, one time, I organized a ball for 1500 people for my sorority."
"How much do you want?" I said, ripping my checkbook out of my purse with trembling fingers.
It was a great success, but the next year Kara wanted her own bash. I managed to put Madeleine off with vague promises of maybe a party sometime in the future.
The time, my friends, is now. Madeleine will be hosting a slumber party on Saturday. And, miracle of miracles, most of her friends have RSVP'd that they will attend.
See you on the other side.










5 comments:
OMG! We'll give you a few days for the shakes to subside before expecting a full report of the carnage.
Be brave!
Johnny
downtothis.
How may kids? The most I've hosted overnight is four cousins (counting my two), and it was some serious chaos.
off topic here. I am catching up, but had to post to say Meredith and I share a birthday :). Happy Days to both of your precious little girls.
Kelly
North Carolina
I hope they come. I know people (none of our friends, for sure, but friends of friends) who rsvp that they will come, and then don't show. There are words for such people.
I remember great slumber prties as a late kid (like 11). Loved them.
I have the same anxieties: first, I have *no* idea what to do for a kid party, and second, will people come? So far, people come, but I still have no idea what to do.
Good luck. I hope you all survive the mayhem I mean sleepover.
They will all show up. I speak from experience. My worst fear is always that there won't be anyone there, a la Jo's party in Little Women, but it won't be like that. They will all show, bearing gifts. You can do it. I know, BELIEVE ME, I know. But you can do it. Schedule the thing within an inch of your life, so there's no opportunity for missteps. Spend money. Tell your husband that he will be killed dead if he doesn't help. And it will be fine. You're doing the right thing. xoxo
Post a Comment