
Will the circle be unbroken?
By and by Lord, by and by,
There's a better home a-waitin'
In the sky Lord, in the sky.
I rehearsed all day on Monday.
Ahem. Ok, Dr. E, my youngest bil is..um..gay.
His partner of SEVENTEEN YEARS died suddenly on Friday. (Feeling guilty about having to emphasize the length of the relationship. If it was his wife, it could have been a Britney-Spears-one-day thing!)
Ahem. I know I don't get official bereavement leave, and this doesn't quite fit into any neatly boxed category, but he's FAMILY, and I need to go to the funeral, and I'll find SOMEBODY TO COVER MY CLASSES.
And I'll totally come down to teach the night class! (You just do not miss night classes unless the fever blows the thermometer up).
Dr. E was totally cool and very understanding and sympathetic. I LOVE YOU DR. E.
The funeral was well attended. John worked at a bank and they gave everybody who asked a couple of hours of leave, I think.
John's mother Margot is a stunningly beautiful woman. She got up to speak with heavy makeup hiding the tear stains.
"I was only 16 when John was born, a bouncing baby boy of 8lbs 8oz," she said. "He was the light of my life. He stood beside me when I buried my mother last year, his Nana. I now turn him over to my mother's loving arms."
Tears ran down my face.
By and by Lord, by and by,
There's a better home a-waitin'
In the sky Lord, in the sky.
I rehearsed all day on Monday.
Ahem. Ok, Dr. E, my youngest bil is..um..gay.
His partner of SEVENTEEN YEARS died suddenly on Friday. (Feeling guilty about having to emphasize the length of the relationship. If it was his wife, it could have been a Britney-Spears-one-day thing!)
Ahem. I know I don't get official bereavement leave, and this doesn't quite fit into any neatly boxed category, but he's FAMILY, and I need to go to the funeral, and I'll find SOMEBODY TO COVER MY CLASSES.
And I'll totally come down to teach the night class! (You just do not miss night classes unless the fever blows the thermometer up).
Dr. E was totally cool and very understanding and sympathetic. I LOVE YOU DR. E.
The funeral was well attended. John worked at a bank and they gave everybody who asked a couple of hours of leave, I think.
John's mother Margot is a stunningly beautiful woman. She got up to speak with heavy makeup hiding the tear stains.
"I was only 16 when John was born, a bouncing baby boy of 8lbs 8oz," she said. "He was the light of my life. He stood beside me when I buried my mother last year, his Nana. I now turn him over to my mother's loving arms."
Tears ran down my face.










6 comments:
Everybody hates funerals. Take my word for it, it doesn't matter if you stay to the end, just showing up means a lot to those involved.
Hey, it's the South and things are the way they are.
My condolences.
Tragic, just tragic.
I'm so sorry for your loss. How sad. And I'm totally with you on the two consenting adults, etc.
First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.
I have to respectfully disagree, though, with your decision about what to say to your class. Saying that your brother-in-law's partner passed away is not ramming gay marriage down their throats.
It's letting them know that someone they respect has a gay relative and isn't ashamed of it. It's letting the kid in the class who may be wondering about his own sexuality and whether his family will still love him if he loves men that they might.
In honor of John, Roger, and their love for each other. I hope you might choose differently in the future.
I didn't mean to be anon on the previous comment. Damn blogger beta....
Post a Comment