Thursday, September 14, 2006

Happy 8th Birthday Madeleine!

From the minute the nanny placed you in our arms you have been pure joy with a side of whipped cream and chocolate.

Somehow--although I swear I wasn't there when you were conceived--you inherited your mother's squirrel like buck teeth, complete lack of athletic ability (and the consequent disinterest in same), snarkiness, love of the ballet, fierce fascination with books, ability to spell (and you know why I was bawling during Akeelah and The Bee, because I'm seeing you holding the trophy one day in my dreams), propensity to get hopeless crushes on Da Boyz, and sense of humor.

You're fiendishly clever in devising ways to eff with your sweet, loving baby sister, who will be 6 in two weeks and possesses a generosity of spirit and relentless good cheer that annoys and puzzles (and secretly awes) both of us. Your way of dealing with this has progressed from simply removing the toy du jour to talking quietly with her a la Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Yes, when I hear you speaking to her in an undertone I'm reminded of the scene where Dr. Lecter talks a fellow inmate into insanity simply by the soothing sound of his voice.

You get my jokes. That's worth more to me than the fact that you can't seem to clean your room properly.

In the words of that sappy song that I heard once and can't locate again...

Today is your birthday
And my gift to you
Is a promise to always
Be there for you
Blow out the candles,
and stay in my view
Because I can't live without you
I know that that much is true

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to Ms. M on her birthday!

(apparently I can't leave a comment in your direction either! Johnny of downtothis)

Anonymous said...

Johnny, it's because I am a BETA BLOGGER. Dunno why I signed up for that. It has been nothing but a hassle with no benefits whatsoever.

Lorrie

Miss Cellania said...

Happy Birthday from me, too!

(she's getting more beautiful with each picture you post)

Anonymous said...

So lovely and loving - happy birthday to your daughter!

Thanks for sharing your reflections on 9/11 too.

Lady M
http://nupboard.blogspot.com/

Kiki McFrugalpants said...

Happy Birthday! I hope this year surpasses the last in terms of happiness and health.

And Miss M is more and more beautiful in every single picture. As always - more pictures is better. so, feel free to plaster your blog with pictures of your girls. They are gorgeous and your stories of them are wonderful (and funny and snarky - just the way I like em)

chicagomama :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

We would like to invite you to showcase your blog articles to millions of internet-surfing mums through the Surfingmama Blog Carnival. Make a difference for mums all over the world. Surfingmama focuses only on stuff that matters. For mums. Submit to us practical, useful & informative articles that mums need to make informed choices. Topics include childcare, preschool, child-education, child-safety, pregnancy, child-health, special-needs, breastfeeding, mothers-health, childbirth, getting-pregnant, and etc. Submit your article now to make it for the upcoming edition scheduled on 25 Sept 2006 at:

http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_506.html

eastcoastlife said...

Happy Birthday to Ms M from Singapore!

You are a great woman, Lorrie!

My grandparents came to Singapore from China more than 80 years ago. My Dad, myself & my son are born in Singapore.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Love,
Jayne

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs