Thursday, August 25, 2005

Money For Nothing And Chicks For Free


This sweet innocent child (Meredith) still, as of today, believes in Santa Claus.

Yes, Dr. Evilla (Madeleine) has apparently decided that the thought of unlimited amounts of homemade cookies on Christmas Eve is too enticing to pass up.

"I can eat ALL the cookies I want?" she inquires in a stage whisper at least three times a day.

"Yep," I reply.

Today another thought occurred to her. "How can you afford all the presents we get?" she asks.

"We save up," I answered.

"Wow...she breathed. Then she climbed on top of me and stage whispered "HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU HAVE?"

"That's private, grown up stuff," I sweetly replied.

"Mooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm..." she whined. "Come on!"

Unwittingly she tapped into one of my pet peeves. My parents never discussed money with us, and I was always irritated, since I considered myself a very important family member. So I decided to throw her a bone.

"We have TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS," I replied.

She literally clutched her chest and staggered backwards. "Oh my gosh!" she screamed. "You're rich!"

4 comments:

Miss Cellania said...

My kids ask how much money I have, and the answer is always the same "I don't know. The credit card bill hasn't arrived." Makes no sense to them. They are looking for numbers. I think of "available" money. Hard to explain that to them, especially with their horrible math grades.

Anonymous said...

Delurking here.

I'm the daughter of two accountants, and my father also is an attourney who specializes in testamentary law. (Wills and such)

Of course, at your daughter's age, you don't want her to know how much money you have. But consider having a place, a special folder or something that lists your assets and liabilities clearly and tell her about the "Important secret folder." Put your wills in there as well. If, heaven forbid, anything should happen to you and your husband the fact that your daughters know that there is an Important folder can save everyone a lot (more) heartache and grief.

As an adult, I don't know the extent of my parents assets, but since I was seven years old I knew where the important folder was.

And another aside..I adore your blog.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be great if she was right? That we only needed ten grand to be rich? Kids are great.

Marla

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I was raised the same way. Money not talked about.

My kids all get allowances and you would be surprised how well it teaches them the value of a buck. I am raising three tightwads let me tell you! (Their fathers influence, not mine ;)

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs