Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I Have Nursed A Viper To My Bosom

Madeleine (7 next month) now Knows Everything About Life.

Yes, she now knows about...um...that....man in the red suit and all.

So of course we had the Cozy Chat, where I explained to her that we should not deprive her innocent Baby Sister (5 next month) of all the Mystery And Joy of the Most Magical Season, and of course, she cheerfully agreed that it would remain a Deep Dark Secret.

Bookies in Vegas were giving it three days....For Madeleine, as her mother before her, has a sadistic streak that is mildly frightening. (and how long did you keep secrets when you were seven, anyway?)

Well, Dr. Evilla was in a snit today, and they both came thundering in the room where I was cheerfully adding links to my blog.

"I'M GOING TO TELL HER!" she snarked.

"Go ahead," I shrugged. I wasn't about to grovel. It wouldn't work anyway.

She turned to Meredith.

"DADDY IS SANTA CLAUS," she triumphantly proclaimed.

Pause.

(crickets chirping)

Meredith just stared at her. And then she SCREAMED AND SCREAMED WITH LAUGHTER.

It was one of the best moments of my life.

Watching Madeleine's face as she realized that her evil plot to Steal Joy was not going to work.

So..the mopup begins. Meredith later asked me was Santa real and I said nonchalantly "What do you think?" and she replied "Of course he is." And then Dr. Evilla and I had another Cozy Chat and I promised her 1. She could wrap all the Christmas presents 2. She could help me write the Letter To Meredith that Santa always leaves and the most important one of all 3. She could eat as many of Santa's cookies as she can shove into her gaping maw after Innocent Baby Sister toddles off to bed....if Innocent Baby Sister still believes in Santa on December 24, 2005.

3 comments:

BrunhildeCrow said...

I love this so much!! My son's best friend doesn't believe - never has (his parents are really religious) and the boys have agreed to disagree. They are seven and an inspiration to us all...

Anonymous said...

I was about 12 before I finally admitted to my mom that I didn't quite believe in Santa and hadn't for five or six years. But she admonished me to not tell my sister, who was 9 or 10 at the time. So I went on and on about the delights of Santa to my sister, who (as she told me many years later) thought I was really a sad case, still believing at my age. She didn't have the heart to break the real news to me. Somehow this speaks volumes about our relationship.

Miss Cellania said...

My 8 year old got the explanation, but she chose to "pretend" to believe for her sister's sake. Yeah, she also figured out you get more toys that way. Since last Christmas, she has talked herself into believing again.

But I saw Santa a couple days ago and he was actually kinda cute! Or maybe I'm just talking myself into believing I'll find a good man.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs